San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico water temps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax

Deplorable American
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone dived there lately?

Has anyone dived there lately?

San Antonio Point & Eagle rock were both at 59 at 40fsw. Surface temp was 61*.

Ditto on diving the island: 59*

However, once out in 40+ depth, the vis was great!

About 150' at Norh Pt, and 40-50 at Pelican Pt.

On the way to the island, we saw a good-size pod of Orcas.

Orcas? COOL. I guess I never knew they were in the sea of cortez.

Jeff

To elaborate on the weekend - San Antonio point had some nice 40-50' vis. Rays abound . . . We were scaring up 5 and 6 at a time, and there were some that stayed put. Sea hares were plentiful, as well as fields of bazillions of dime-sized sea urchins.

Eagle point was 'meh', not much life around.

About 3/4 of the way to the island was the Orca Pod. Those 'upstairs' estimated 6 adults and at least four babies. At first, I saw only a couple of water spouts, but then one came right at us on the port stern - a huge dorsal comes out of the water about 20 feet away, and everyone was thinking "we're going to need a bigger boat!" Then it went under and passed right behind the dive platform, maybe 3' down. BTW, Jeff, you can see sperm whales there, too.

San Pedro Island's North Point was fabulous - the initial 10 or so feet was cloudy, but once you got down and further out, there were scads of fish and eels and the big olive nudi's around.

Pelican Point had at least two dozen sea lions . . . they LOVE SMBs . . . I think. Hope they love them? because I had six running around doing flips and such while I was coming up the line. One grabbed the anchor line . . . no wonder the anchor moved on the first try!

The air temp was 88 Saturday and 84 Sunday, but the breeze coming off of the 61o ocean cool it down nicely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom