San Carlos,MX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terri2chris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking for recommendations on Hotel and Dive Operators in San Carlos, MX. We hope to travel there sometime in Feb 2013.

Any info would be great!

Thanks,
Terri

There's 3 dive ops I'd recommend - I've personally used two of them. All the options afaik: San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Diving

Most of the better diving is at San Pedro Island about 30-90 mins. away (depends on the boat). There's a sea lion colony there and a deep u/w canyon a short distance off the south end. San Pedro is a vertical, uninhabited rock. On one side, it's sheltered and calm, they do o/w checkouts there. The other side can be a little more challenging. On the ride out/back, you'll almost always see pods of dolphins.

There's also a couple of wrecks in other areas. Vis in February should be good, it's still cold so no algae blooms - expect low-mid 60's.

All of the boats leave from the marina a short drive from town. All the shops are in town so you check-in once then meet at the boat.

The 3 operators I know are:

El Mar Mexico. They have a 36' Newton dive boat. They're one of my local (I live in Phoenix) LDS's and have a sister facility there. We rent tanks from them but I haven't been on the boat yet. El Mar Diving Center, Your San Carlos Mexico Scuba Diving Center

Gary's is the oldest dive operator there. They have the largest boat - there can be a lot of divers on it. Gary's also has a smaller fast boat and a fleet of older concrete hulled converted tour boats (they're surprisingly stable in rougher conditions) But they're slow. It's a good trip though, once just the 6 of us and two snorkelers - the crew catches fish for tacos while you dive. Garys Dive Shop - San Carlos, Mexico

Desert Divers in Tucson has an affiliation with Ocean Sports in San Carlos. They run Ocean Spirit, a 46' dive boat with two decks. They'll take up to 36 divers. http://www.desertdivers.com/store/Ocean_Sports_San_Carlos_Mexico.cfm They have a good reputation locally, my nephew dives from there.

If it's of interest there's a direct flight from Phoenix on USAirways to Guaymas. About a 20min. drive from there to San Carlos - a cab to the marina was $25.

We stayed at the Marina Terra Hotel on one side of the marina. Not beachfront but they have a shuttle to their beach club 1/2 mi. away. You can walk to your boat with full gear - I do. Hotel Marinaterra - At the San Carlos Desert Bay

Many dive groups also stay at the Best Western Tetakawi in town. It's older but IDK much about it. Bestwestern.com, the World's Biggest Hotel Family.

There's also several larger condo complexes beachfront: San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Apartments & Condos

I've been diving in the Caribbean lately so all this info is about 5 years old. My nephew is doing his DM there this fall thru a Tucson shop so I'm pretty current.

Thanks so much diversteve! I appreciate it.

Terri

El Mar is the current best operator there in terms of service and cost. The other two are much more expensive, and the boats aren't the same quality or maintained as well. Ocean Sports has been running theirs on only one engine, which makes for a long trip to the island.

I just dove with El Mar the last two weekends and they are a great outfit. I live right across the street from Marina Terra and it's a good spot in town. El Mar's boat is docked very close to there, as are the others. But, Hotel Fiesta Real is less expensive and very nice. It's also located right on the beach.

If you looking for an instructor, Dive San Carlos is at Hotel Paradiso and will provide you the best service for that. PM me and I can provide you more information. www.facebook.com/divesancarlos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom