San Carlos Mx. Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good report, Billee. Those sea lions provided me with one of my top three transcendent dive experiences. Although I obviously saw them on the rocks and in the water before descending, I wasn't at all prepared mentally (or air consumption-wise!) for that graceful power: wow! I'm not sure how much air I sucked down in that first gasp of mine, but it was considerable.

You had warmer water than I did last year at this time. The coldest I experienced was at Seal Island, where I registered 75 at depth (checked my own dive report). You also had slightly better vis than I saw. Obviously, I'll have to go back!

my dive buddy said he didn't see any bublles from me for about 3 minutes when I first came across them.... I guess I forgot to breathe!!!

Thanks for the report. I'm glad to hear about the water temp now I will only pack a skin. Heading to Cabo in Aug. and hoping it stays clear. Nice report the seal's are in as a dive site.

NDH, to be clear: San Carlos and Seal Island are on the other side of the Sea of Cortez, and far north, of Los Cabos. You will not combine San Carlos and Los Cabos on the same trip. Nonetheless, Los Cabos (Baja California Sur) offers better diving overall, and you will see sea lions at Cabo San Lucas' Land's End (and smell them as your boat pulls close). Enjoy!

WaterWayne:
NDH, to be clear: San Carlos and Seal Island are on the other side of the Sea of Cortez, and far north, of Los Cabos. You will not combine San Carlos and Los Cabos on the same trip. Nonetheless, Los Cabos (Baja California Sur) offers better diving overall, and you will see sea lions at Cabo San Lucas' Land's End (and smell them as your boat pulls close). Enjoy!

Although from AZ/NM/TX, driving to San Carlos, on the E side of the Sea of Cortez, is a possibility, whereas driving to Los Cabos is impractical. I also hear San Carlos is mellower than Los Cabos, and not infested with timeshare salesfolk :wink:

Thanks waterwayne I realized that a little later, but the report gives me hope. I don't care for cold water. The coldest water I care to enter is around 70. I don't mind a little cold air but cold water no thanks. And this will be our first visit to the Pacfic side. So all info is greatful. I tend to look for all info about an area before I visit so not to miss things. Dive location, food, sites etc...

San Carlos does not have the ubiquitous beggars, sales folks or timeshare people in your face every time you step across the street. Streets are all clean except for the horses and cows on the street.....AMAZIN!!!

My wife is always getting on me about using the F word. Free diving, Free food, and at the end of the day free drinks. I'll fit right in at Los Cabos. Does that count as begging.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom