San Carlos driving ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trojanman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are thinking of driving down to San Carlos and were wondering how safe a drive it is now days?? We live in El Paso and it is not what I would call safe to the south.

I was there last August and again in Febuary.
The people there are always friendly and helpful. The tourist areas of Mexico are well patrolled and monitored. My wife and I were also in Cabo San Lucas in May. Things can happen anywhere but Mexico doesn't seem to be a serious hot spot these days.
Go Enjoy!

I regularly travel to the area on business (to Hermosillo) and have gone down to San Carlos regularly.

In terms of safety, I wouldn't worry as long as you're not trying to explore the "seamier" sides of the area (not that I even know of one in San Carlos). In fact, once you're past the border area, you'll find that most Mexicans will be very couteous if you are so with them. It doesn't hurt to know the basic polite phrases in Spanish either.

Now with that said, I ALWAYS get out and watch when they pump gas to ensure you get the amount you are paying for. A Mexican friend of mine assured me that he does too, that it's not just a tourist thing.

I hope to be there next month diving with one of the Arizona shops while I'm down on a business trip.

Hope that this helped.

Been going twice a year for 25 years. Perfectly safe as long as you....

NEVER TRAVEL AT NIGHT!!!

I've drove down many times and have never had a problem. If you go to http://www.desertdivers.com/ there is plenty of info. Maps, directions, hotels, divesites, etc...

I've even drove it at night with no problems. Some roads are a little narrow and Hermosillo can get a little confusing, but San Carlos is a fun local place to go to.

enjoy

Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom