salvaging my Uk blue tang dive knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon:
i will test dive it a couple of times. honestly it doesnt get in the way.

I think you are missing some key pieces of the philosophy...

Everyone is configured the same, so, in an emergency, there is no hmming and haaing about what and where gear is on your teammates. If I need to grab a cutting device off of my buddy, I know *exactly* where it is and how it's configured. Your gigantic knife mounted sideways, probably with a locking sheath, is not something I want to be trying to figure out when I need your cutting device.

Additionally, you need to think ahead...while this *may* not (and I think you'll find it does) get in the way right now, what will happen when you add deco bottles, a scooter, etc. Every piece of gear in a DIR rig has a very well thought-out reason and we don't change that gear configuration when we are doing deco dives and have bottles, or use a scooter....you learn it one way, the correct way, from the beginning, and never have to relearn something.

And finally, *WHY* are you bringing it?! If you don't need it (you don't) don't bring it...if there is a better solution (there is), fix it. I can promise you, a 7" knife is totally and completely unnecessary unless you are bringing it to commit hari kari in the event of an emergency.

Spoon:
using the knife on the leg is obviously out of the question now. spent serious bucks on this titanium baby. anyway i can salvage it and still remain dir? was thinking of removing the straps and buying some velcro so i can mount it sideways along the waiststrap? what do you guys suggest?

Go kick your DIRF instructor in the nuts for me. He didn't pound this into your head well enough. You need to access your knife one handed and quickly. That is why it is positioned where it is. When your spool line gets wrapped around you and your lift bag is pulling you to the surface at a ridiculously quick speed, you need that knife immediately and don't want to jack with some convuluted configuration and extra large knife. You got into this early. Your useless gear purchases are extremely small.

Soggy:
I think you are missing some key pieces of the philosophy...

Everyone is configured the same, so, in an emergency, there is no hmming and haaing about what and where gear is on your teammates. If I need to grab a cutting device off of my buddy, I know *exactly* where it is and how it's configured. Your gigantic knife mounted sideways, probably with a locking sheath, is not something I want to be trying to figure out when I need your cutting device.

Additionally, you need to think ahead...while this *may* not (and I think you'll find it does) get in the way right now, what will happen when you add deco bottles, a scooter, etc. Every piece of gear in a DIR rig has a very well thought-out reason and we don't change that gear configuration when we are doing deco dives and have bottles, or use a scooter....you learn it one way, the correct way, from the beginning, and never have to relearn something.

And finally, *WHY* are you bringing it?! If you don't need it (you don't) don't bring it...if there is a better solution (there is), fix it. I can promise you, a 7" knife is totally and completely unnecessary unless you are bringing it to commit hari kari in the event of an emergency.

crystal clear bro. i needed to hear that. i was trying to find some looplhole so i could use it. i cant sell it either my Gf got it for me.. im planning to get a small blunt tip knife with web sheath. and be totally dir compliant. anyway thanks for your explantion.

by the way i was roflmao about the hara kiri thing:)

Spoon:
i was trying to find some looplhole so i could use it.

DIR is not about rules and "loophole"s, it's about creating a thinking diver as part of a thinking team that is able to manage environment and equipment at all times. Hopefully soon, you will experience that "A HA!" moment when you see how the entire system works together and all these questions you'll be able to answer for yourself.

I have one of those knifes too. Broke my heart to throw it in a box, it didn't come out of it again. :wink:

Spoon:
crystal clear bro. i needed to hear that. i was trying to find some looplhole so i could use it. i cant sell it either my Gf got it for me.. im planning to get a small blunt tip knife with web sheath. and be totally dir compliant. anyway thanks for your explantion.

by the way i was roflmao about the hara kiri thing:)

This doesn't have to get expensive-find a CHEAP kitchen steak knife where the tang goes thru to the end of the handle (you should be able to find these for $1-$5. Put the knife in a vise about an 1 1/2 inches from the handle, and break off the rest. File down the end, and you only need a sheath to put it in.

detroit diver:
This doesn't have to get expensive-find a CHEAP kitchen steak knife where the tang goes thru to the end of the handle (you should be able to find these for $1-$5. Put the knife in a vise about an 1 1/2 inches from the handle, and break off the rest. File down the end, and you only need a sheath to put it in.

im actually thinking of a ginsu steak knife. got lots of these lying around at home. i also have a guy that makes dir sheaths out of harness webbing. as for breaking of the tip? it just snaps that easily?

Tollie:
Its a sentimental attachment to the knife re the GF... You can do with your fine knife what I did with mine... stow it in your gear bag and use it during the surface interval to cut up apples and cheese.

yup its a sentimental thing...

Spoon:
im actually thinking of a ginsu steak knife. got lots of these lying around at home. i also have a guy that makes dir sheaths out of harness webbing. as for breaking of the tip? it just snaps that easily?

Yup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom