Salt-X, suitable for use on regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowball

Registered
Reaction score
I saw an ad for Salt-X recently in my local dive mag. It quotes all sorts of wonderful cases on it's effectiveness on removing corrosion from dive gear. However from the sounds of the ad and their website (www.salt-x.com) it seems more designed to be used on boats than for scuba gear. Does anybody know if it could damage the hoses, seals, etc on regs? :06:

I use it regularly in my dunk tank with no problems. It does a good job. A tad bit expensive though!

What is Salt-X? I wager it is just a fancy name on a bottle of water softner. Check the lable and the ingredients. Water softner is available at the local store.

Now about suitability, I don't know.

I try to avoid the issue by working to not let salt crystals form. I take a 3 gallon bucket of hot water with me on beach dives and leave it sitting in the warm sun behind the car while I dive. It is still warm when I finish the dive. When I get to my car, I take of the BC and the regulator, octo, dive computer and lights go straight into the bucket of water to soak while I get out of the wetsuit, dry off and dress, and put my gear away. Then they get soaked again at home for an hour or two. It also gives me a place to rinse my mask before the dive.

Unless you are severely over corroded, I would just stick to plain water, make sure the the purges are not depressed and that the yoke/din is sealed and toss 'er in the tub covered in water to soak. There are too many parts that this could affect not to mention your tast buds next time you use the reg. Also the soft diaphragms of the second stage and exhaust valve.

Thanks guys. Bigsage, I agree it is rather expensive. Pasley, it is a water based corrosion product removal agent (non-acid based) and not a water softener. But as Rescuediver pointed out it might have issues with the combinations of metals and polymers. I think I might save it for when I take my gear apart and sock the components individually.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom