Salt Point St. Pk -- LDS recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there, we are planning to go diving at Salt Point on Oct 20 & 21 as part of the Marine Bio class at SF City College (Dr. James Grass). Being pretty new to diving in the Bay Area, I am looking for recommendations for gear rentals in the area. We have had pretty good luck with Bamboo Reef in SF and Monterey. I see there is one in San Rafael, but before I book I thought I would check in with the local crowd. We will need dry suits, tanks, and regs. It seems like a long way from San Rafael to Salt Point.

How long does it take to get to Salt Point St Pk from SF? If it is in the 2+ hour range we would probably come back to SF each night. We are supposed to be there ready to go at 9. Hmmmm...maybe it would be nice to stay in Jenner.

Thanks,

Bill

They would be your best bet for DS rentals. Salt Point is a little more than two hours from San Francisco especially in the afternoon. From San Rafael it's about two hours. Best way would be to go to River Rd just to the north end of Santa Rosa out to Jenner than north on Hwy 1. Bodega Bay, Jenner, Timber Cove or Fort Ross are all good places to stay. You'll have a great time.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

It's more of 2 1/2+ hours from Salt Point to S.F., especially on the way back, as the tourists will be out on the narrow, twisty roads.

The closest LDSs are Sonoma Coast Divers in Rohnert Park and Pinnacles in Santa Rosa.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Of which I don't believe either rent dry suits. Assuming no traffic to sf it should be around 2:45 but throw in the afternoon pumpkin patch traffic plus bridge traffic and it will increase. Nowhere to get fills on the north coast so get all the tanks you will need.

If you like to camp still water is nice as are the two main inns timber cove and fort Ross.

Of which I don't believe either rent dry suits. Assuming no traffic to sf it should be around 2:45 but throw in the afternoon pumpkin patch traffic plus bridge traffic and it will increase. Nowhere to get fills on the north coast so get all the tanks you will need.

If you like to camp still water is nice as are the two main inns timber cove and fort Ross.

Another option would be to take the Washington Street exit in Petaluma and head out the Bodega Hwy and up Hwy 1 until Salt Point. You would miss a lot of the Santa Rosa traffic, however you would also miss the Sonoma Coast Dive shop or the Santa Rosa Pinnacles as well, but would be the option if you rented your gear from the San Rafeal Bamboo Reef. You will have to check and see if the Marin Bamboo Reef rents dry suits. If you are missing some part of your dive gear there is a dive shop in Petaluma, on the Bodega Hwy called Petaluma Sport and Dive, but I'm pretty sure they do not rent dry suits. Last week the Petaluma dive place did look like they had a good deal on wetsuits however.

Back
Top Bottom