Salt Point - Gerstle Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorCalDM

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I dove Gerstle Cove at Salt Point State Park yesterday and was surprised how much it has changed. It was kind of sad the only kelp we saw was small bits on the bottoms and it was covered in urchins eating away. No abs to be found even in the protected area which use to have some big ones. I last dove here about two years ago and there was way more life.

Yes it is a very dire and bad situation indeed.
I was at Stillwater cove yesterday (Sunday) and did three tanks.
I was smashing urchins the whole time. Good news, close to the beach There is quite a bit of sea grass and ribbon/ broad leaf kelp growing and I saw lots of abalone close to the beach hiding down in the rocks. I even saw a few abalone out in areas that are purple urchin infested and the feet look pretty full with mantle showing around the perimeter. At the end of this month Seal’s Watersports is doing another fun dive maybe at Stillwater or Vandamme. Join us,
It will be a “smashing” good time!
I am hell bent on collecting my 40 gallon limit of crushed urchins.

Yes it is a very dire and bad situation indeed.
I was at Stillwater cove yesterday (Sunday) and did three tanks.
I was smashing urchins the whole time. Good news, close to the beach There is quite a bit of sea grass and ribbon/ broad leaf kelp growing and I saw lots of abalone close to the beach hiding down in the rocks. I even saw a few abalone out in areas that are purple urchin infested and the feet look pretty full with mantle showing around the perimeter. At the end of this month Seal’s Watersports is doing another fun dive maybe at Stillwater or Vandamme. Join us,
It will be a “smashing” good time!
I am hell bent on collecting my 40 gallon limit of crushed urchins.
That's good to hear. We commented on the way back that we should have went to Stillwater as it looked pretty good. We are teaching a class at the end of the month in Monterey but if it works out that would be fun to join you guys. I need to get up there more often I forget how much I like it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom