salt crystals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamedicjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
"I've had numerous discussions with tech support and marketing manager about this (these) leaking problems....particularly salt in the jog shaft.

Their position is that it is a figment of our imagination, this doesn't happen, they have no design flaw, their repair technicians have never seen it before, and they've never heard about it before (despite the fact that I sent them about 20 pages of posts from the various forums that have discussed this issue) (Interesting though...after not finding a problem with my leaking housing and ready to return it unfixed, they graciously replaced it with a new one as a "courtesy" after I pressed hard enough with the facts))

Bottom line; you'll get little sympathy from Olympus. Better to service it yourself and then "throw it away" (use it for top side use-rain shield, beach use etc) when it gets too bad and either purchase a new one or upgrade. At $150.00 you can self-service numerous times and then replace. If you amortize the cost per dive, you'll see it comes out to exactly what it always was intended to be...a low end consumer housing with adequate performance at a low price. The real issue is are you protected. GET INSURANCE. "

So what can be done next step any lawyers time Olympus understand they have a Problem.

I was puzzled by some 015's leaking (including mine), and others not at all. Here's what I just found.
Background: I replaced o-rings on my Mode/Power buttons (no others) per the Housing Maintenance article on this site in preparation for saltwater dives in Coz. I am meticulous mechanically, and am aware of o-ring abrasion, etc. I also lightly siliconed the new rings. The housing had about 30 freshwater dives before the "preventive maintenance" o-ring replacement.
After only 11 dives (max 104fsw) in Coz, I saw internal salt crystals on the mode shaft and timer/remote button shaft after getting back home. I kept the housing in fresh water on the boat and I rinsed /soaked the housing in warm water, etc etc. after every dive day.
Just removed power/mode knobs and shafts and inspected carefully under 10x mag/bright light. Inner shaft and o-ring looked great. Outer shaft cruddy with salt, but o-ring looked perfect.
Then inspected the hole in the housing, looking to see if any residue there. Thought I saw a hair and went to swab it out with a foam swab. It wasn't a hair, but a hairline crack!!!
The crack is at the rear of the hole (6 o'clock, looking from the top, door toward you). It runs about 5mm back from the hole, down the inner wall and back a few mm inside the housing. I gently rubbed an orangewood stick across the "hair" and can definitely feel the crack.
Examining the other leaky shaft, still in place, I can see a stress crack radiating from that hole, also. Bigger bummer, I can see similar radial cracks at three other shafts, but no sign of leakage/crystals there yet.
No o-ring maintanance will fix this!!!! Bummer! Now that I disassembled/serviced the housing, Oly will tell me where to go if I try to get warranty coverage.
I am bummed!!!!! Check your housings if you have shaft leaks. I think it's probably not the o-rings or shafts that are the problem, but almost invisible hairline cracks along the wall of and radiating from the holes in the housing.
Please post if you find similar problem.

Note that my housing has been to 150ft, but the crack issue may be the cause of the numerous leak reports from others.

medic 13

maybe what needs to happen is that a good size group of oly users just need to start a campaign of sending emails and phone calls to oly usa support about this issue, because if they get enough traffic about it they cant deny very long

FWIW

tooth

Despite the fact that my post on another forum was copied above, Medic 13, the point has to be made that my post referred to someone's request about how to deal with a leaking PT-015 and should they contact Olympus.

They don't really care and maybe they don't want or need to. The housing is a consumer "throw away". By that I mean it is a housing that probably costs less than $25-50 US to make. At that cost, they aren't going to be responsive

So as consumers we have choices, continue to buy from a manufacturer or switch. My choice was to buy another from Oly, because the price was still right (amortized over the useful life of the housing vs number of dives and technological status of the camera (they're obsolete when you buy them...just like computers))

Are they at fualt... probably. Do they have a liability.... I doubt a large one. Using a camera underwater is risky anyway. Protect yourself and insure. PT-015 owners (most) now know the dilema. Most either live with the problem or self service. This is a fact of life. Olympus is not going to respond in some huge major way. It wouldn't make sense financially. Kinda like killing an ant with an atom bomb

hears all olympus will do
We value you as an Olympus customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you with this situation.

We are sorry to hear that you are having problems with your Olympus product but we will work with you to resolve this situation. Based on the description of the problem that you provided, we believe that the product will require service by a repair technician. If you would like to send your product in for repair, the pre-approved cost of repair for your PT-015 is $91.00 plus $6.00 for shipping & handling. Please add the applicable sales tax if you reside in CA (8.5%) or NY (8.75%).

To have your Olympus product serviced, follow the steps outlined below:

1. Fill out the Product Repair Submission form (located at

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_servicerepair_howto.asp?fl=2)

2. Please include the following with your equipment:
- Sample prints or files on disk relating to the problem
- Any components of the product related to the problem (such as the media card, batteries, AC adapter, microcassette tape, etc.)
- For a digital product experiencing problems working with a computer, please include the serial or USB cable.

*** Note: Please do not include item(s) not related to the problem (such as a film, media cards, carrying case, batteries, software, printer ribbon, etc.).

3. Print two copies of the Product Repair Submission Form. Include one in the package and keep one for your records.

4. Package your equipment carefully. For the repair of your Olympus product in the United States, you can either ship or bring it to one of the following Olympus Service Centers:

Olympus America Inc.
400 Rabro Drive
Hauppauge, NY 11788-4258
Attn: Consumer Product Repair
(800) 622-6372
Fax: (631) 881-6510
9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time

OR

Olympus America Inc.
10805 Holder Street Suite 170
Cypress, CA 90630-5145
Attn: Consumer Product Repair
(714) 503-5700
Fax: (714) 229-1652
8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Pacific Time

Note: For a listing of Canadian Repair Centers, please visit our website.

We recommend that you have your package insured by the carrier when you ship it. We also recommend that you use a shipping carrier that provides package tracking or delivery confirmation such as UPS or FedEx. This will ensure that your package will arrive at its destination.

While the product is at Olympus, you can check on the repair status by visiting our website at

http://www.olympusamerica.com/repairstatus.

Please note that it will take 2-3 days after we receive your package until information is available on the website.

You will receive a Service Charge Estimate by mail outlining the cost of the repair if you did not provide us with pre-approved repair payment. If you agree to the repair, you would authorize the agreement and return the paperwork with a form of payment. Additionally, you can provide instant authorization and credit card payment for a repair by visiting our website at

If you decide not to have the product repaired, Olympus will return the product to you at no charge.

Repairs are typically completed in 7 to 10 business days from the date that we receive your warrantied product or you provide approved payment of the Service Charge Estimate.

The Olympus America website contains extensive information on how to have an Olympus product serviced. To review service and repair information, please visit us at

If you would like to speak to us regarding repair service, please e-mail us at cpgwebmail@olympus.com or call Olympus Customer Service at (800) 622-6372 from 8:30am to 7:00pm Eastern Time.

This is your Email Response Tracking Number: 472181. Please use this number if you need to refer to this email for further assistance. You can also browse our website by visiting http://www.olympusamerica.com/

Regards,

Terry
Digital Technical Support
Olympus America, Inc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom