Salt Creek Campout/Diamond Knot dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seadiver5

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Our Takin it on the road summer series of dives just returned from Salt Creek Campground.

My family headed up to Salt Creek on Thursday, Arriving a little later than I wanted to we found that most all the campsites had already been snatched up. We did however find a group of 4 sites next to each other and snapped them up. As we were setting up camp Michael Farson and Diana Bendickson arrived. We helped them set up their tent and settled into camp duties.

Friday we enjoyed what the campground had to offer and just hung around waiting for the rest of the group to arrive. Donna Melton and Pete Naylor arrived at the same time and were eager to get a dive in. Michael and I helped them get their gear to the water and we saw them off on what was to be the first dive our group made. With a crackling fire in a firepit surrounded by happy divers and campers I along with Pete Draper, Dave Mclean and Steve Callahan headed to bed early. We had to rise at the horrifically early hour of 3:30 am in order to meet Porthole Charters in Port Angeles for our morning dive of the Wreck of the Diamond Knot.

While all the other divers in our group continued to sleep soundly tucked warmly in their sleeping bags we were chasing all over Port Angeles looking for our charter. Once found I met both Michael Fitz and Jeff Christ (our last two wreck diving compatriates). This was my first dive with Porthole Charters. Mike the owner and captain of the boat welcomed us aboard and we quickly sped off to insure we didn't miss the tide. With not much time to get ready divers busied themselves with final preparations for diving what is arguably one of the "Holy Grail" dives of the Pacific Northwest. It took two times for the skipper to grapple the wreck. The sea was laying like glass, flat and still and with entry time running short we all dropped in and descended the line to a depth of 125 fsw. The wreck has been down now for 60 years. It is a very mature artificial reef encrusted with huge barnacles and is the home of many huge Lingcod, Black Cod, Wolf Eels, and a host of other fish . Everywhere you looked you saw schools of them. My buddy Peter and I swam underneath the pilot house and around the transom of the wreck. Stopping frequently to peer into holes in the wreck as we made our way back to the ascent line and began our trip up to our decompression stop.

Back on board we reveled in how calm the water was and clear with an estimated 60+ feet of visibility. Only two of us had ever dove the wreck before and we took some razzing from the cherry poppin divers who have never experienced the Knot before, especially at its worst.

Back at camp I enjoyed hearing from divers Pete and Rich about their great shore dives. I really wanted to get back in the water on Sunday but thought better of it. The weather on Sunday had cleared up and the campground was warm and sunny. I usually would have packed and headed home early but chose to stay and enjoy the park in the nice weather with almost all of the others who came for this weekend.

With a few of the divers urging me to set up another camp/dive trip for Labor day I just may do it.

Members of this trip included Julie, Jeremy and Elizabeth Parkhurst, Michael Farson, Diana Bendickson, Pete Draper, Dave McLean, Melissa Patterson, Donna Melton, Pete Naylor, Michael Fitz, Jeff Christ, Rich and Mindy Watson, Steve, Daphne and Sean Callahan, Kelsun McDonell and Myself. If I forgot to mention anyone I apologize profusely.

I will be setting up a series of dives very soon and when I do I hope to see many more of you who I have never met along with all of you I have already had the honor of meeting.

See you in the Sea
Kevin Parkhurst

Irregardless of her condition, I'd love to get some bottomtime on her in the next year or so. Call me a wreck junkie, but there's just something magical about diving on a once-impressive ship.

This was a very fun trip, The divers who showed up were all a joy to be around and we hope to see all of them again very soon.

Icegirl: Thanks for sharing the video it is great.

lundysd:
Irregardless of her condition, I'd love to get some bottomtime on her in the next year or so. Call me a wreck junkie, but there's just something magical about diving on a once-impressive ship.

Keep in touch with us and the next time we go we would be happy to discuss the possibility of you diving with us.

Kevin is pretty paticular about who he lets dive these type of dives with him so he will be talking with you about your qualifications but if he is satisfied I know he will welcome you along.

Looking forward to meeting you someday

Back
Top Bottom