Suggestion Sale Location

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1640021203430.png
There was a feature like that years ago, which I just read about. There are two basic options to determine the seller's approximate location; by the location indicated in their profile or by their IP address.

Using their IP address for their location would betray the confidence of the member. The operating assumption is they would list it in their profile if that was what they wanted. Using IPs are also of questionable value now that so many people are using VPN services. Among other things, VPNs usually misrepresent your true location.

Some members like myself choose to display their general location, which you can click on and it will display in a Google Maps page. In a case like that, you can ask for directions from your location to get the distance.

The location in your profile is too general to be of much value for this purpose. Many members choose to leave it blank.

That issue seems easy enough to code around (not being a coder). If sellers report their general location that should be searchable by distance, if they don’t you’re assuming it’s shipped from the 48 and most likely Fl.

If sellers report their general location that should be searchable by distance, if they don’t you’re assuming it’s shipped from the 48 and most likely Fl.

Only about half of our members are in the US. Not everything can be shipped in US Postal flat rate boxes (if it fits, it ships). Fees from other shippers are dependent on distance.

IMO, It is better to have members ask than provide wrong or useless information.

I used to skydive and it was a similar problem a buyer/seller scams included.
The skydiving website (very similar to this one) had coding that allowed a seller to mark the state the item was located in. That way you could search for equipment for sale within a reasonable driving distance.

I can't see much since I'm not a member. What information can you see in this thread where the member list the location as the United States?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom