Sailing with dive gear & Diving from a sailboat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand the hassle with getting gear back into the boat. I have been toying with the idea of using the MOB hoist on the boom... This would give you much more control over equipment not hitting the side. Also, I just saw in Overton's an inflatable slide which attaches to rails... Havent spent enough time pondering this but I wonder about hooking a halyard and winching bc/tank up that way...

Have a 32' Dutch Flyer in Clear Lake and getting ready for a Flower Garden trip so if anyone has done it please let me know

Thanks

Hi Offshore,,,

well i had a 45 ft cat i lived on for about 10 years in the Bahamas,,i carried 20 tanks,compressor and all the gear for 10 divers,,,

on the stern i built 2 platforms and ladders,one on each pontoon,,,i used one and a quarter inch aluminum from the shop to make my own ladders,,,in the Fla. Keys back in the good old days we built our own ladders,,also make sure they get into the water deep enough to get your feet on,,
having you knees in your mouth makes it harder to climb out,,,

so i don't see a problem in diving off a cat,,,,now a mono hull would be a little harder,,,

i also had a 15 ft Zociac with a 35 hp to run any distance,,,but the cat with a shallow draft makes a great diving boat,,,,

hope you have fun,,,,,,,,,and get wet!

captbill

the wetter the better!

captbill,

What kind of cat? How did you manage to actually live aboard with all that gear?
I can't imagine that many tanks on even a 45', and still having room on deck.
And all that other gear! I'm guessing the hull that you didn't live/sleep in looked like a small dive shop?

I read some of this thread and thought I would respond. I keep my monohull in Keyport Harbor New Jersey, and yes I do dive from my sailboat. Early on I learned it was easier to put my BC on in the water being I don't have a platform. The same for when returning, I take the BC off and someone on board grabs it, or I climb on board and pull it up myself. I must admit it is not easy diving from a sailboat. I have barefoot with friends in Turks and Caicos and stopped everyday to dive, but you dove from the Zodiac dinghy not the sailboat. This is similar to the diving in the Dominican Republic, diving from a skiff. Most Caribbean sailboat rentals do take diving into consideration for islands to stop and places to dive. In most cases you can rent the equipment from them. Only bring what you have to.

On my boat I wish I had two tanks on board or a way to refill, but I only have one tank which is usually about 45 minutes of down time. The best system would be to refill on the water. It is a pain sailing around trying to find a fill! Maybe some day I will purchase a gas compressor to do it myself.

I find the most diving is under my boat scrapping the bottom and the visibility is terrible around our area. Some places I have been lucky to have about 10', but that is rare. If I went further from shore, I'm sure I'd find clearer water, but I am limited on distance. At least in the Caribbean you can see 75 to 150 feet and can really enjoy the many sites mother nature has set aside for the select few who can venture down and see it. I would concur that the best vessel to sail and dive is a catamaran. They lend themselves to being more diver friendly, plus have much better living space than a monohull.

Jim
Rescue Diver
Skipper "Lil Provo"

Jim, You're being generous. I attempted a rudder recovery in your home port. I could barely see my hand in front of my face. A professional salvage crew was brought in the next day, and they couldn't even find it.

I really wanted to do some of the Jersey wrecks from my boat, but the inshore ones would be an all day trip, and the Stolt would probably be an over nighter. Now I'm in Florida, and I can actually see my prop and bottom from the surface. I have 2 80s aboard right now, and a compressor that I'm selling. It's just a little too big and heavy. Maybe when I upgrade to that Lagoon,I 'll get a new compressor.

Boy, I see you think much like me. We have been looking at property in the Bahamas where it can still be purchased at a reasonable price. The construction will kill ya, but the land is relatively inexpensive. I dive throughout the Caribbean, mostly Turks and Caicos and San Salvador. I like diving the walls. I have over 200 dives at Turks & Caicos alone. I need to have water accessible to me, I also swim 4 to 7 miles per week. Being I love sailing and diving, there was no question in my mind that you could dive from a sailboat. I have many dives in the Dominican and all of them were from a small skiff and you apply the same entry and exit from the water. BC and tank over the side, put it on in the water. My ladder is difficult to climb when your all loaded up, without all the gear it is much more manageable.

Water clarity in Raritan Bay or Keyport Harbor is very poor. It seems to be clearer early in the season and murkier later in the season. I have dove a couple wrecks off the coast and the water clarity was surprisingly about 30 feet. But you can't beat the southern waters. I was in 5' of water in the harbor and my fin kicked up a little silt, it might as well been night time. I no longer will work on the bottom of my boat at low tide.

I still have a lot to learn about sailing, but I've been living aboard for a year. The primary reason for getting the boat in the first place was to be my escape pod. I love the NJ wrecks, but I've been done with NJ, and wanted out for a while now. I'm also a little tired or not as motivated to deal with the extra cold water gear. Really trying to simplify/streamline things gear wise. I can't believe I'm actually becoming a warm water wimp. Well...I'll keep the drysuit, though, with just some light undies, so I can dive in the middle of Jan, when everyone else down here says it's the off season.

Hi GRUNZSTER,,,

well is was a cat made in Japan for a retired Admiral. he had it sloop rigged and had plenty of space. the length was 45 ft and 23 ft wide with 2 Lemans 90 hp for power.

i kept the tanks in a forward hold going from one side to the other and most of the gear also. the compressor was under the rear seat. so had plenty of room for all..had a large gas refer,stove in the middle plus a table to seat 12 pob and 2 cabins in each pontoon with heads,etc

with those Lemans i could hit about 18 plus knots and sail a easy 10-12 all the time,,,the best i did with her was 18 plus knots under sail when i was racing another power boat out to Pennekamp park for that special place.

lived on her for about ten years in the Bahamas, then went back to a 55 ft powerboat.

and have had many boats since then,,last one was a 80 ft Navy patrol boat,i love boats and diving,,

have a good one,,,,,,,,,,

Wow, never heard of cats made in Japan. I'd guess similar to a Lagoon 420 or Leopard 45 in layout. So, I guess as long as you're only day charting, and don't have too many guests too often, plenty of room for all that gear. If the day comes that I move up to that Lagoon, I may pick up a few more tanks for guests and get a compressor again. But for now, I'm a short dinghy ride from the shop, and with my draft, even just a walk during low tide.

The cat was a custom built one and laid out pretty good,,,

as i said we lived aboard her 10 years in the Bahamas down in the Exumas,,,i also opened up a shop ashore so it was a good life till my wife wanted a divorce,,,,then i was on my way again ,,,,,

well after 3 wives i have been diving all over,,,and of course staying down island and having fun
since 1980.

at least i have been happy diving,,,,,,,,,,,,

so if you want to travel,,,,just get a divorce!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom