sailing and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DayDream

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
If you have a sailboat and scuba dive, how do you stow gear? Wetsuit, dry suit, fins, wing BCD, tanks?

Tanks - in an upright position between an upper and lower rib (or any rack) to ensure it wont shift during rough seas or roll over somebody's foot.

Suits & Fins - Ideally if you have the space for it you should hang them, if not lay them on top of your other gear (away from sunlight)

Everything else - Either in a compartment tucked in neatly or in a case that you can simply stow in any extra space you have or even tie to an anchor point.
I'd personally go with the case as its easy to organize and keep everything at once place.

You could and should also hang your BCD together with the Suits but if space is scarce than just tuck it in nicely (preferably fully inflated to avoid distortion)

Tanks - in an upright position between an upper and lower rib (or any rack) to ensure it wont shift during rough seas or roll over somebody's foot.

Suits & Fins - Ideally if you have the space for it you should hang them, if not lay them on top of your other gear (away from sunlight)

Everything else - Either in a compartment tucked in neatly or in a case that you can simply stow in any extra space you have or even tie to an anchor point.
I'd personally go with the case as its easy to organize and keep everything at once place.

You could and should also hang your BCD together with the Suits but if space is scarce than just tuck it in nicely (preferably fully inflated to avoid distortion)
Thank you!

Depends on your yacht and configuration. We have a cat and stored tanks and weights under floor in each hull. Everything else in bins in storage between rear berth and engine room.

I dive from a 21foot corribee sail boat. Weights in the floor. Twin tanks tied to the mast compression post, everything else in a fish box in the port quarter berth. Boarding ladder and fishing gear in the starboard quarter berth

It depends on you boat. I got a 42” sailing yacht. Most of the time we are only two onboard. It's important that everything got its own place. If not it quickly become chaos and you will not find anything. I have made a stainless stand for the tanks at the mast. It holds four tanks. The tanks are safe in all weather condition and not in the way when sailing. The also got an alternative fitted storage down below. Other gear got its own bag. If the wetsuits are wet, they are hanging in the forward heads to dry. Without guests onboard, the front cabin or bow are used for storage of sails, spinnakers and other crap. We often sail hard in all weather conditions. Everything need to be secured and stored on its own place.

Stow diving equipment is one thing. How are people diving from sailboats?

- Get an air compressor or get more tanks?

I have set the limit on two tanks each and possibly a pony for what I will keep onboard. Filling the tanks is not too bad from my yearly berth. We plan to go sailing long term, by boat it will be a pain to get the tanks filled. The only practical way forward would be an onboard air compressor. I am looking for a small compressor on electricity that can do 232 BAR or 300 BAR. The compressor can take it time to fill the tanks. Its more important that the compressor is small, easy to maintain and reliable. It will not be a huge amount of tank fillings. At times we might fill tanks a few times every week, other times the compressor could be unused for a month or two. My usage pattern might change, but this is how I see it right now.

- Difficult to get in and out of the sea from a sailboat?

My yacht got a high freeboard and no swimming platform. Going in and out of the wet is done jumping, stainless ladder or using the rib. Whatever you do, it is not easy to get back on board with your diving gear. Last time I left the wing, hardness, tank and more floating next to the boat, where I attached it to the spinnaker halyard. Got onboard and winched it in. If using the rib, I will do the same.

- Difficult to clean and dry the diving gear?

That has not been a problem. With a watermaker onboard, we got plenty of fresh water — the gear drys outside, or in one of the heads with a permanent fitted dehumidifier and heater. By closing the door to the heads, it dries quite quickly. All the gear got its own storage space onboard. The fins are under the floorboards.

- Save to store tanks on deck?

The tanks are stored on deck fitted to a bespoke stainless steel stand just in front of the mast. It is a good place since they are out of the way, just over the keel and not in the way for tacking, sailing or spinnaker runs. The will be wet by rain and seawater. The only concern is that they are in view. There are always people who want to take stuff that is in view. Been thinking of making a cover, and found a place for them down below. In exposed areas, I should probably not keep them on deck.

Happy days

Depends on sailboat configuration and size. I've used surface support (hookah) mostly on smaller boats I've done long voyages on, I've used the forecastle and tiller flat areas to store my gear on tall ships - become inventive and make sure tanks really are firmly lashed. They're not fun bowling balls on deck.

It depends on you boat. I got a 42” sailing yacht. Most of the time we are only two onboard. It's important that everything got its own place. If not it quickly become chaos and you will not find anything. I have made a stainless stand for the tanks at the mast. It holds four tanks. The tanks are safe in all weather condition and not in the way when sailing. The also got an alternative fitted storage down below. Other gear got its own bag. If the wetsuits are wet, they are hanging in the forward heads to dry. Without guests onboard, the front cabin or bow are used for storage of sails, spinnakers and other crap. We often sail hard in all weather conditions. Everything need to be secured and stored on its own place.

You have a 42' yacht? You bastard, I hate you. :scubadiver:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom