Sailfish Photo's Posted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amazing pics. I am hoping to pull off this trip Feb. 2014. What charter/operator did you use for the trip? I've only found 1 decent captain in my research so far, but I know there have to be more. Thanks in advance for any info.

Beautiful

Thank you for the kind comments on the pics. The sailfish were quite close at times - nearly within arms reach. Sometimes some fish from a bait ball would break away and swim under me. The sailfish would circle me, looking for an angle to get the fish.
It is quite hard work to get into position. I trained by kicking with swim fins and swimming for an hour a day for a two months prior to going. That was about 1/2 enough.
I went with Shawn Heinrichs for arranging the event. He rents a captain/spotter and boat for 5 days, all day. He rents them every yr and has for the past 5 yrs. You search all day and when you get in, you swim like nothing you have ever done before...and I am a competitive swimmer.
You also need a camera that can do 1250 ISO without much noise, be really experienced with your setup and practice shooting without the viewfinder. I never used the viewfinder on this trip...the action was too fast to bother.

ON the last day of the outing, we were swimming with Manta's...hundreds of them..as far as the eye could see. All on the surface feeding. I photo's over 50 Mubula's and dozens of Manta's but the water was milky so contrast and photos were not so good that day. But the experience was breathtaking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom