Safety stop - loosing my buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm betting the OP has one of them popular cheap aluminum80 tanks. And the problem is not that you are shallow, not that you are doing the safety stop, but that those cheap Alu80's have positive buoyancy when they are nearly empty, which is the case when you are making a safety stop.

As was said, you're probably underweighted. Not by much, but maybe 2-4 pounds.

Which is one reason I prefer a steel tank. It doesn't save me anything in weight, but it puts the weight in my tank, instead of on my belt, and allows me to store another ~15% more air on my back at the same time. Which is a nice free bonus, from my point of view.

I'd try the next dive with one more weight (2-4#, whatever's around) on the belt, along with trying to ensure there's no air in the BC at that point. Or try a steel tank--you may find you like them.(G)

THe OP does not need a different cylinder - equipment is not the problem or solution. All divers can achieve trim and proper buoyancy with AL or steel tanks. Read tomfcrist's post, a properly weighted diver should not have an issue with an AL80.

Back to the OP's question, it is common for new divers to struggle at a shallow safety stop. While in Utlia, practice in shallow water with DM or instructor. Try not to move your hands or fins - eliminating body movement and normal breathing will help a lot, in particular 3 to 4 meters depth. With a near empty tank about 30-50 bar @3 m, reassess your weighs by adding or subtracting 1kg with your buddy or instructor.

One reason new divers struggle at their safety stop is that they were taught skills on their knees and overweighted. Being overweighted causes one to have a larger air bubble in their BC which makes it harder to maintain proper buoyancy at shallow depths.

Bob

I've had this problem as well. I'm wondering how much currents or surface chop play into it. It may be more in my head, but I find it harder to maintain depth in moving/unsettled water. It could be finning in a vertical position, though...

One reason new divers struggle at their safety stop is that they were taught skills on their knees and overweighted. Being overweighted causes one to have a larger air bubble in their BC which makes it harder to maintain proper buoyancy at shallow depths.

Bob
Very true - overweighting causes the "bubble" to be bigger at all depths which means a far greater buoyancy shift when ascending.

I would note that it is not just new divers though - a lot of people will turn round and say "I have always dived with X Kg of lead so I know I am OK with that" making it harder on themselves whereas if they did regular weight checks they might find their weight requirement would drop over time.

Bouyancy is avery difficult skill to learn, and it's vastly more difficult in 6m or less of water. The biggest key in licking it is learning to stay horizontal because at 5m having your body distributed over more than a 1,6m variance in depth (being vertical means your toes are about 1,6m deeper than your nose) is a hopelessly large range of different bouyancies. Get horizontal then work on getting a feel for how slight fintip movements can adjust your position to keep you horizontal and even push you a tiny bit up or down. Learning to use your breathing will help too, but everyone tells you that - too few people tell you that those hardly-noticable fin movements can also be a big help.

If the vastly more experienced divers make you feel like bouyancy is simple trick you should have mastered by now, ask a couple of these masters to demonstate their skills at 5m for 5min with their eyes closed. That should put humble pie on the menu :)

Last edited:
Bouyancy is avery difficult skill to learn, and it's vastly more difficult in 6m or less of water. The biggest key in licking it is learning to stay horizontal because at 5m having your body distributed over more than a 1,6m variance in depth (being vertical means your toes are about 1,6m deeper than your nose) is a hopelessly large range of different bouyancies. Get vertical, then work on getting a feel for how slight fintip movements can adjust your position to keep you horizontal and even push you a tiny bit up or down. Learning to use your breathing will help too, but everyone tells you that - too few people tell you that those hardly-noticable fin movements can also be a big help.

If the vastly more experienced divers make you feel like bouyancy is simple trick you should have mastered by now, ask a couple of these masters to demonstate their skills at 5m for 5min with their eyes closed. That should put humble pie on the menu :)
I think you mean horizontal.

To the OP,as @bowlofpetunias says don't be afraid of finning a bit to maintain your position. Even the "zen masters" of tech diving use their fins, the only difference is they are not thrashing away with them but making almost imperceptible micro movements. You shouldn't need full kicks unless trying to fight a current but small tweaks will help a hover.

Tip I just learned and had made a crazy difference to hovering is to rub your thumb and index finger every now and then.. Your body likes to keep moving and under water many feel the urge to move their fins. Using this little trick has helped me keep practically still.. I can link a short video where my wife last week in Malta tried this end of dive, around 4m depth. She was just copying or guide and hardly moved her finns for at least a minute or two before I noticed and started filming... This was only her 20th dive in 2 years, seriously proud of her.

I also haven't been using the dump valve to get rid of air just my low pressure inflator

I'm also going out again next week so will try all the things u guys have suggested and let u know how it went. Its nice and reassuring to know that others have had this problem too. I feel a bit stupid not being able to control it especially when your on a dive with people far more experienced then yourself but I know its gonna be a great feeling when I get it :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom