Safety stop immediately after surfacing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the answers. From the conversation I drive conclusion, that in situation, when I surface without safety stop:
- it's not worth going down to 5m just to do the recommended safety stop,
- it is worth going immediately down to 5m if safety stop is mandatory.

Thanks and best regards,
Jarek

Last edited:
How many OW Instructors with 4 students on OW dive 2 or 3 will do 2 CESA's near the beginning of a dive and 2 CESA's at the end of the dive, and then what does the Instructor and last student do after that? Anybody heard of issues for just the student?

Refresh my memory again, how deep are these usually done from? And how long is the typical OW dive 2 or 3?

:shocked2:

- it is worth going immediately down to 5m if safety stop is mandatory.

At the risk of sounding semantic there is no such thing as a "mandatory safety stop."

The stop that is RECOMMENDED at the end of a recreational dive within no-deco limits is called a SAFETY STOP.

A stop that is MANDATORY at the end of a dive that exceeds the limits for a no-deco dive is called a DECOMPRESSION STOP.

At the risk of sounding semantic there is no such thing as a "mandatory safety stop."

The stop that is RECOMMENDED at the end of a recreational dive within no-deco limits is called a SAFETY STOP.

A stop that is MANDATORY at the end of a dive that exceeds the limits for a no-deco dive is called a DECOMPRESSION STOP.

I know it sounds stupid, but the PADI dive table differentiates between safety stops & required (mandatory) safety stops. IIRC Buhlmann tables require a minimum of 1 minute at 3 mts for all dives. So the question isn't really that surprising.

To answer the OPs question, no I wouldn't bother for an NDL dive. If I was to bother I'd do as Thalassamania suggested & stay for an extended period, more or less turning it into a missed deco stop.

My view is that is always a good idea to spend 3 minutes at 5 meters on every dive.
Divers should also know how to read their computer in case they end up with a mandatory no decompression stop (3 or more minutes)
In the specific case of a diver that knows how to read the diving computer, if this is not indicating a mandatory safety stop (which will realistically only occur for non deep dives) it is not a problem to ascent and there is no point going down again.
If instead you were in a deco stop and the computer is complaining that you are above the ceiling you should immediately go down and do the deco stop.
Everything is solved by knowing how to read the computer.
I have had cases of people that did not know how to read the decompression information and when the computer was giving them 5 minutes instead of 3 just ignored it and performed an ascent after 3 minutes
The result was a missed no decompression stop and computer in error for 24 hours or longer

My view is that is always a good idea to spend 3 minutes at 5 meters on every dive.

As far as the reason for "safety stops" being integrated into decompression tables, I can only shed light on the DCIEM Tables, as I was involved in their development. At DCIEM, the Air Decompression Tables were designed as a guideline for military personnel. I think that it's fair to say that a Navy Diver often has a different BMI and level of fitness than a typical "recreational diver." The safety stops were integrated in an attempt to slow ascent to the surface and act as a buffer for required decompression.

Every dive is a decompression dive, it's only the decompression procedures that may change. All require a slow rate of ascent, some a safety stop, others a "mandatory" decompression stop. All dives however are decompression dives.

If you are in a similar condition of a Navy Diver, run and swim several miles daily, I think it's safe to say that a "safety stop" is not required. If you are less athletic, it's reasonable that you approach "safety stops" as a requirement, or at least a method of decreasing your chances of DCS.

In any regard, you choose to either put safety stops into your dive plan or you don't. If you do, you should dive your plan and considering them mandatory.

As has been stated, the line between NDL dives and dives that have slight deco obligations is very easily blurred; different computer algorithms, different physiology, etc...that's why we have safety stops. They add a margin of safety, and it is impressive how much N2 is off gassed during a brief shallow stop; something like close to 90% on NDL profiles. (I think I read that in the PADI encyclopedia)

I almost always do longer safety stops than 3 minutes; I have found that it makes me feel better when doing multiple dives/day, particularly on air. If I miss one accidentally, it's because there is some problem on the dive that has likewise increased my ascent rate. This has happened to me when guiding new divers that have poor buoyancy control. In those cases I have gone back down and done as long a stop as is practical. I'd be interested in learning more about possible dangers with this practice.

However, with a new diver who has possibly had all sorts of problems on a dive, including missing a recommended safety stop, I would be much more hesitant to send (or bring) this diver into the water for a stop. I'd be more likely to closely monitor for signs of DCS and possibly put the diver on O2.

Everything is solved by knowing how to read the computer.

Now, there you go, being radical!

:rofl3:

(Don't you know we have to turn in our Man Cards if we ask for or read the directions?)

I should know. They took mine away years ago for asking directions and enjoying "Chick Flicks" with my wife...

Fantastic thread, i was reading about safety stops and the diver was saying that when you are deeper then 40 ft you go half and stop for 1 min then do 2 at 15ft thats your 3 min safety. I was told you always do its 3 min at 15 ft no matter how deep you are. So if you dive 60ft you stop at 30 fot 1 and go to 15 for 3min.

Fantastic thread, i was reading about safety stops and the diver was saying that when you are deeper then 40 ft you go half and stop for 1 min then do 2 at 15ft thats your 3 min safety. I was told you always do its 3 min at 15 ft no matter how deep you are. So if you dive 60ft you stop at 30 fot 1 and go to 15 for 3min.

It's just a case of "you can't be too careful" so if time and gas allows it, you may as well!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom