Safety Sausage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pre dive briefs should cover the color issue. I use the Zeagle smb( alot like the DAN) is it just me or does safety sausage make you giggle like a school boy? kinda like hearing an adult say Poop.

pre dive briefs should cover the color issue. I use the Zeagle smb( alot like the DAN) is it just me or does safety sausage make you giggle like a school boy? kinda like hearing an adult say Poop.

Ha I love the fact that everyone seems to think that if you brief everyone on your boat that you are going to use a non-standard colour then the people in the next boat will hear and understand it too ;-)

Not many people over here call it a safety sausage, but either SMB (even though they are technically a DSMBs) or blob's, referring to being on your blob can cause some amusement.

I can not answer your question specifically but I do know that the sausage I have, I do not like. Mine is a DAN sausage and you have to take your reg out of your mouth to blow air into it. I will be buying one that will allow me to use an octo to blow air into it. Not a fan of "having" to take your regulator out of your mouth. just my .02 though.

David

i just got a storm high vis suface marker buoy something or other. it has both the oral inflate and open bottom, dump and over pressure valve, shiny stuff at the top, reasonably priced compared to others with open bottoms, and at 6' long i feel especially virile.

I haven't deployed it yet but will post when i do. for right now i just walk around the house with it.

it's sold through dolphin scuba center, but if you buy it through amazon(it still ships from dolphin) shipping is cheaper.

ps. it's yellow

Ha I love the fact that everyone seems to think that if you brief everyone on your boat that you are going to use a non-standard colour then the people in the next boat will hear and understand it too ;-)

I love the fact that you keep talking about 'standards' and 'conventions' that don't exist

Tortuga,
The assumed convention for DSMB colouring in the UK is either red or orange to indicate where you are in the water.

The assumed convention is a custom - it's not formally prescribed but tends to be followed by technical divers irrespective of agency and this is often brought to the recreational club system where it also followed.

Mixed colours are frowned upon by regular UK divers because of this custom. It is also a custom and I would argue common sense to mark your DSMB so that it can be identified. In my case I have DD in yellow masking tape on a red background (DD=Dangerous Dave by the way )
People who know me also know what DD means :) so identification on the boat is not an issue.

Yellow often indicates an emergency as does 2 orange/red DSMBS tied together. Yellow tends to be carried by divers doing tech dives usually below 30m with more than 10 mins of deco although this is arbitrary. My definition for a techie dive is based on the deco time and depth of the dive and is arbitrary.

Since I'm not a techie I cannot say more than this in all honesty but my understanding is that emergency procedures (techie dives) are discussed with the skipper before the dive starts.

Most boat dives in the UK range from 8 to 35m so most of the time it's the orange/red scenario you see - I very rarely see the yellow because I'm not on techie dives with techies.

Most DSMBS tend to be about 4.5 foot upwards - the smaller ones may be carried as backups but skippers generally don't like the smaller ones because they are difficult to see if there is any sort of swell.

I would prefer to be neutral and horizontal in the water and keep the line tight with just my arm keeping tension on the line, and not have to put my whole body into it.

Your change in buoyancy when pulling down to stand up the smb is the same regardless of where
you hold the line.The effects on your trim will be affected by where you hold the line but the overall
buoyancy change is the same. Your pulling under a small portion of the smb to have it stand up. If the
smb is not inflated all the way more will be under water. If it is fully inflated only a small portion of the
inflated smb will need to be pulled below water level. I have been at my normal weighting which
is just a bit negative at safety stop with tank at ~500 psi and was able to get a 4.5 foot smb to stand
up without a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom