Safety Sausage....what's missing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heelsfaninpa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just bought a safety sausage to take with me on a trip to the Keys. I wanted to be sure that I have some sort of safety signaling device, besides my whistle, just in case.

I purchased an OMS safety sausage with 55# of lift. The first problem I ran into was keeping it rolled up so I could attach it to my BC. Is there some trick to this or is there something I'm missing? I ended up using a tie wrap to keep it rolled up.

Second was placement on my BC. I attached it to a hasp on the left lower side of my BC. It seems as if it hangs a little low and I hope it will not get in the way.

Any suggestions???

I just bought a safety sausage to take with me on a trip to the Keys. I wanted to be sure that I have some sort of safety signaling device, besides my whistle, just in case.

I purchased an OMS safety sausage with 55# of lift. The first problem I ran into was keeping it rolled up so I could attach it to my BC. Is there some trick to this or is there something I'm missing? I ended up using a tie wrap to keep it rolled up.

Second was placement on my BC. I attached it to a hasp on the left lower side of my BC. It seems as if it hangs a little low and I hope it will not get in the way.

Any suggestions???

Unfortunately that's the bad part about the OMS sausages, they don't come with velcro or something to keep them rolled up.

A short piece of 1/4" bungie cord that is looped through the clip and zip tied to itself works for me. Basically your making a rubber band that can't get lost. I use a stainless steel bolt snap.

What pickens said
I had the same problem with my TDL one, I ran the webbing from the SMB through a bolt snap and I used 3/16 bungie that goes through the hole in the bolt snap and around the SMB to keep it all rolled up
I used two more 5/32 bungies on my BC to attach it (1/4 was too strong) , compact, and easy to deploy
pics in my gallery if you want a look see for the mounting (Dont have pics of the bungie/bolt snap though)

I've posted a couple pictures in my photo gallery.

Photo_020308_001.jpg

Photo_020308_002.jpg

Photo_020308_003.jpg

Used my phone's camera... sorry for the poor quality.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom