Safety sausage tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was using a dsmb I allways tried to tie it off before inflating it , alternatelly like what has been said is to use two reels , if inflating mid water I used to use the air from the jacket dump hose this transfers air to the tube and there is only a small increase in buyoancy once you send it up it's easy to add some air to the jacket.

I now use the AP DSMBi with the small cylinder this is the biz and works a treat.

Alban

In Cozumel the DM's (well at least at Dive Paradise) carry safety sausages and deploy them during the safety stop with a long line or real attached. As you are drift diving, the boat sees the sausage and then knows were the group is doing it safety stop in anticipation of a boat pick up.

It is also useful to let other dive operators know where divers are doing safety stops when you are on a dive site which has more boat traffic.

I carry a surface sausage for use if I were to get seperated from the group. It does not have a long line (though I am thinking of getting a small reel) and would be inflated at the surface.

of using the jacket dump hose - I would give it a try but most of the time I use a dry suit with a shoulder dump and don't think that would work quite as well

Jonathan

On a related note... I read an article in Asian Diver magazine which stated that, "Some experts consider mishandling of SMBs underwater to be a major factor in most DCI incidents."

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I can see that getting tangled in the line could cause a nasty accident, but "a major factor in most DCI incidents" seems pretty strong.

Zept

Zept

I'd be interested in the reason for the link. Can only think that divers concentrating on get their SS inflated forget to control their bouyancy and inadvertently rise to the surface too quickly.

Hi
In the Uk these are call delayed smbs and you Launch them from the bottom by infalting them with your buddys octopus, you can do it on your own but much less fun, they are attached to Reel that has over 60m of line on them,

So in essence this is the plan: you are about to leave the bottom and you launch your sausage which rockets to the surface attaced to the reel, as you come up you reel line in when you get to say 6m you lock of the reel and hang of the smb/sausage to do your saftey stop.

That way boats know where you are before you surface

Kevin

When I was buying my gear, I assumed that all sausages had a line or reel to hang on to. I was dismayed later to realise that the one I bought was just a plastic sausage with no line. I haven't tried using it in water because I'm travelling; always on different charter boats with different buddies and never get a chance to practise stuff. My question is, are they difficult to use? Do the reel ones take up much space in a BC pocket? I think I should definitely get a reel one for use in Ireland where the boats are more mobile and often pick people up.

Anni

Hi
Smb reels take up very little space and can be clipped to your stab jacket or in my case i have big pockets in my dry suit and it sits in there complete with the Smb.
I your going to Ireland the boat skipper generaly watn to see the smb deployed from the bottom so they Know where you are in case you ger run over by the rib driver, its quite seasy to deploy and it very rarely gets tangled jut remeber ot them the spool as the smb s going up so you can stop an over run.

My club is going to Dingle in august when are you going..

Regards
Kevin

I am not at all convinced about this submerged release thing.

The LAST thing(s) I want to be doing on a safety stop are a) not concentrating on my depth AND b) playing around with a change in buoyancy (as you inflate the thing).

1. If I make sure I stay at the correct depth for my stop - and stay attentive - there is no way I can be hit by the size of boat likely to be in the dive area.

2. Before surfacing I can clear the area both visually and aurally.

As for reeling out a line from 60'..... I do not need to carry all the clutter and the line adds to the hazards.

The only time these things make sense to me is on the surface after separation from the group / boat. A whistle is cheaper and smaller.

I generally dive in the clear conditions of Cozumel so there may be other issues in different environments.

Graham

Hi
The point here is when you are ready to leave the bottom you deploy the smb, it does not add anything to your buoyancy and the boats can clearly see whre you are, you do not have to deploy in Mid water and is very easy to to control your safy stop and your ascent rate as in efect you dupm air from you Jacket and use the smb to control you ascent by finning up and realing in the line, in the uk if you are in a fast drift the skippers want the smb bployed from the bottom so they can follow you, however all this is down to your personal preferance.

Kevin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom