Safety on the Dive Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have dived in San Diego CA with the Humboltd (WaterHorse Charters) and in Miami FL with the Big-Com Ocean (RJ Diving). Those boats also fulfills many of the points, but those two cannot account for point No. 4, as both had recently problems related to this.

I had not heard of Waterhorse having count issues or leaving divers. Can you point me to a thread or fill me in? They are one of my favorite day charters out of San Diego....

Unfortunately, most boats in Florida have ladders.
Yeah, I really dislike the Shamu Platforms when I use them. I bet the lifts are best in the worse weather possible. They don't seem to add any additional flop to the process.

That would be useful at "Thousand Steps" in Bonaire I bet. :thumb:

Someone was exaggerating ... I believe I only counted 68 steps there ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

minimum requirements: 1.) get me to the dive spot and 2.) DO NOT LEAVE ME BEHIND !!!

better 1.) plenty of shade and water during surface intervals 2.) do not throw my fins in a messy pile if you collect them when I come back on board.

best 1.) good food, and extra credit if I can buy a beer on way home if it's a long ride back.

I'm getting a lot of good responses about what I want in a DIVE boat (as far as diving goes), and that's all well and good, the purpose of the thread is to see what lengths folks will go to ensure their own safety on the boat. Many folks have responded that they are responsible for their own safety. The real question is, what do you do about it? Do you carry your own CO2 inflatable work vest in other countries? Do you see something unacceptable to you (loose deck hatches, no working VHF, no life jackets) and step off?

Do you just trust the captain (in many countries, the captain is a congested divemaster) for your safety, then get upset when an accident happens? Do you trust USCG standards and the window sticker on your boat, or do you poke around? I remember a captain of a non-US-flagged liveaboard telling me when I was in the yard last year that his flag-state inspection consisted of airfare for the inspector, a $600 check, and a bottle of Johnny Walker green label. The inspector never stepped foot on the boat.

I usually poke around a little. But normally I do my homework before I book a trip. I know you have a good reputation so I would not hesitate to book with you. I booked a trip on The Ultimate Getaway and loved it. I usually check my tanks for hydro and vis. I watch the deck hands as the Analise my tank. I listen in the safety orientation. I always make sure I mark my name off the list when I return to top side. I also wear two computers in case one dies I can keep diving. If I see something out of the ordinary I will tell a deck hand. After all I did pay good money for the trip.

I had not heard of Waterhorse having count issues or leaving divers. Can you point me to a thread or fill me in? They are one of my favorite day charters out of San Diego....

In this thread, post #8, related to WaterHorse Charters
And in this thread, related to RJ Diving

As I mentioned, I dived with both of them, and will do again if I'm back in the area.

Oxygen was mentioned once on this thread, I think, but how about lots of oxygen? And how about if there is more than one victim needing O2 at the same time? A CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) device and a trained crew would be best as well.

And a defibrillator if at all possible...

There is a boat here in Tobermory that has a lift platform which is awesome. Just sit on it while in the water and the platform lifts up:

Joseph Simon lift platform.jpg

There are also boats in Cozumel with a lift platform. So easy!

Aqua Safari lift platform.jpg

The next best thing to a lift platform that I have seen is this ladder on one of our boats in Brockville. No matter how much current there is in the St Lawrence river, once you step on the platform, it is so stable and easy. The railings on both sides all the way up are a godsend. As soon as you stand on the platform, the top half of your body is above water looking at and talking to the captain. Best and easiest ladder I have ever used!

Helen C ladder.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom