Safety Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All that plus a pony. BUT ... How about having a reciprocal agreement with another diver/buddy pair - "Before the boat leaves I/we will check for you and you check for me/us. If not on board notify the crew & captain and the boat doesn't go anywhere till all of us are accounted for."

Most stuff has been mentioned, but what about O2 kit and first aid kits?

What I carry depends on the dive I am doing but the two things I feel are overlooked by most recreational divers is a spare mask and DSMB.

A spare mask is an essential bit of kit for technical divers but for recreational divers, what do you do in 20 metres of water if you lose your mask? Even with your buddy to guide you, your ascent is going to be uncomfortable. If you are in the sea, diving from a boat and your buddy is less than attentive, can you find the shot?

DSMBs seem to be carried by many UK divers (and those diving in parts of the world with similar conditions) but many don't. In sunnier climes where the sea is clear, they seem to be a rarity. Although you should try to avoid buddy separation, it does happen and a DSMB is useful. When I dive with a new buddy, I make a point of telling them I have one and in the event of separation, it goes up. We do the usual search for no more than a minute and the first on the surface can see the buoy.

If diving from a boat and a shot line isn't used, or you can't find the shot, it makes it easier to be picked up by the boat. It also helps stop you getting run over if for some reason you have to surface somewhere unplanned. It can be used as an additional source of buoyancy and can help you be spotted if you end up adrift. Most skippers in the UK insist divers carry at least one per buddy pair.

I should also mention that we ALWAYS have at least one high-intensity light, and if diving at night, at least two.

Any suggestions on lights for the purposes of safety (and maybe looking in a crevice or two)?

Any suggestions on lights for the purposes of safety (and maybe looking in a crevice or two)?

The Dive Right In Scuba 1000 Lumen is a nice one... Bought that for my husband this year and he is liking it. His previous light took 8 C batteries, so it was very heavy when we traveled! The DRIS 1000 Lumen takes 3 batteries I think.

Has anyone ever considered taking along a flare gun in a watertight container? In the movie they saw a ship go by but it was too far away to see them. Probably wouldn't even see a SMB. But shoot a flare and that'd get their attention. They might not see where it came from but they'd know you were there....and if you had two shots you could shoot another one.

Has anyone ever considered taking along a flare gun in a watertight container?

No need for a watertight container. The gun and flares are plastic and waterproof. I carry a gun (unloaded) and 3-4 flares in my BC pocket on any daytime dive when there is a posibility I might need it (most dives, especially if solo) and on all night time dives.

On a dive charter I always have a SMB and reel but not rigged together. If the boat is gone when I come up I tie the line to my weight belt and drop the belt anchoring myself in the first place they will be looking for me.

Guess that works if

A: The weight belt weighs less than the lifting capacity of the SMB

B: The reel line is long enough to reach the bottom

C: You're not in a strong current situation.

But if those conditions aren't met, there could be a good chance you'll never see your reel and SMB again!

Best regards, Lloyd Borrett.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom