Safety Equipment - Not really covered in OW course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave brings up several important points

and I especially like the one about joining DAN ... http://diversalertnetwork.org/ ... they are a great organization, doing much of the research that keeps divers safe
... Personally, I will not go diving without having their accident insurance policy , and at the highest level they offer, Preferred ... http://diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/compare.asp

at the cost of one fast food meal a month ($8.75 that's including DAN membership) It's hard to justify a lessor plan, or not getting one at all

There are as many types of safety equipment as there are as many types of fins, BCs and regulators. There is no way an OW class can cover all of the required or available safety equipment.

If one were to go diving in an unfamiliar environment, then one should do some research. Talk to the shops in that area, talk to the boat charter, hell, we're on Scubaboard, talk to the people in the subforum and see what they usually carry as safety equipment for their local dives. Even then you'd still need to evaluate and see what exactly are your plans for diving. That way you don't carry everything under the sun on your body when you jump in the water. I believe that's called the "Christmas Tree" effect.

Reactions: D_B
I agree...well out of hand!

What about a full survival raft? :wink:

Halcyon Survival Raft

LifeRaft_small.jpg

I like that one, but I couldn't find a way to fold it just right to fit in the backplate, I found a good compromise with this one bellow, is 4 feet long.
I still wish the full size could fold smaller, with 300lbs of lift I bet one can take naps on it.

Attachments

• Shuttle_color.jpg
    Shuttle_color.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 65
Hello there...I agree with the other diver’s responses for the most part... What I did not see anyone cover which is very important to think about is, when diving in the states it is very different than diving overseas... For example, if you dive the Similan Islands in Thailand the boats do not drop anchors, this means you should have a signal tube, do not rely on anyone in your group or your guide to have one for you, with that being said there are different types of signal tubes.. When traveling I would not recommend a signal tube that requires a C02 cartridge as they are not permitted to be carried on an airline as it can with the change in pressure conceivably explode ( not that it has ever happened but they are not permitted "just in case") So I would say buy one that is not the least expensive but a middle of the road model so that you can re use in the future.. In addition Knives, in the Caribbean and Thailand are not permitted on dives as those countries generally protect their marine life ( to an extent) they will also not allow you to use gloves when diving, they want to detour people from touching thus destroying the habitats...those are just a couple examples, I would recommend that if possible to take a Gear specialty course, this would allow you the opportunity to get to know the ins and outs a little better of your basic open water gear, what is available, why you need/want it and what to do next...Check with the company's you are diving with overseas and find out what they recommend and or require.. each establishment varies a little though they all basically run the same way.. I have done a ton of diving overseas and I had to learn from trial and error.. I hope this helps a bit!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom