Safety Device-Best vs. cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divekraz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a suggestion for those looking at safety devices, a VHF radio. The 2-2006 issue of Dive Training printed a letter I sent to them regarding this subject. I carry all the usual safety gear, knife, flashlight, bcd reflectors, whistle, air alert, sausage, dye color ring and mirror. The problem with all those devices is range. Someone needs to be close enough to see or hear you which can be very difficult in high seas, and other conditions. An ebirb will work over a large distance but costs close to $1,000 and doesn't give any specifics other than calling the coast guard for pick up. My solution was to buy a ICOM vhf radio IC-m32 for $150.00 and keep it in a otter box for $18.00. The radio is good to 5' depth but with the otter I've taken it to 120' for the past 30+ dives and it works great. You can get a complete setup for under $100 but may not have a water resistant radio, range, etc.. You can also get a smaller radio to reduce the bulk. I always ask the Captain/dive shop what channel they monitor and let them know I carry the radio. In the event I'm seperated from the dive boat and my other signaling devices don't work, I just pull out the radio and call my boat or any other boat in the area for assistance. The radio has a max range of 5 miles, more likely a mile or two. In almost 300 dives I've never had to use any of my safety equipment but there's always the chance of that first time, so I always carry all of my equipment. I had a dive master in Belize who only had a sausage and whistle, commenting on the amount of safety equipment I had in a negative way, my response was, if chance caused our boat to leave us stranded, would he rather be with me or someone else?

wow that idea sounds very interesting. im suprised nobody else has commented. does the battery hold its charge well or do u have to top-up every few nights?

A very interesting idea. I've just picked up safety sausages, signaling mirrors, and whistles for my fiance and me for our upcoming dives in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I doubt I'll pick something like this up right now, but I definitely will in the future. That particular radio alone costs a bit more than the cumulative cost of the DiveAlert, SMB, mirror, and whistle, that I just picked up, but again, factoring in practicality, I think your approach would have a lot more bang for the buck, should it ever have to be utlized.

One thing to bear in mind though, a small portable VHF radio at sea level or in the troughs of waves will have very little range at all.

If you see a boat they may not be able to see you, and the boat you can see might not be the one you are talking to !! Could be difficult to direct them to you in this case.

Not knocking a good safety idea - just thinking through some of the problems that might be encountered if relying on a radio.................

Dandruff- I charge the radio up before my first dive and it will hold the charge for at least a week. After a month or so it does lose the charge as a small amount of power is drawing all the time.

Pyro- Absolutely correct that 5' rolling seas is going to affect range and the concept was never for this to be the only safety device to be used. I tested it in Cozumel to call from one Blue bubble shop (downtown) to the other shop (about 5-6 miles) and it worked great. By using the radio, if I get any contact, a ship knows I'm very close and there's a problem even if the radio contact is intermittent. For the cost, I thought it was a worth while added safety insurance. Think about a diver at night, even if your light is working, someone on a boat must be looking in your direction and even if they see you they might not know your in trouble and ignore it. The best solution is the ebirp but the cost is pretty high. Thanks for your comments.

Skyblazer arial flares.

Cheap, and they're fun at parties. No batteries to worry about. Airlines don't like 'em though.

Careful with those flares. I have had a whole bunch of flares over the years for my sailboats and I have found them to be unreliable at best and dangerous at worst.

I would NOT want to be launching one overhead while floating in the water. About the only way you could get it off would be to put it over your head and that is NOT where you want the exhaust headed.

The last time I tested a batch of flares (Skyblazers I believe), 9 out of 10 FAILED TO IGNITE. These were unexpired flares that had never been near water. The fuses just pulled straight out without igniting the flare.

On my boats in the future I will have pistol type flares but I will thoroughly test those out as well before I rely on them. Now I just have to find a place to test them. Before I moved, I had acreage with a pond I could launch over. No way anyone would see them and think Distress! Now in SoCal, I don't think anyone would appreciate a land test (heck, I'd probably get a wildfire named after me at least :eek:) and doing it over the water can really send a wrong signal.

For diving I would stick with the usual nosiemakers and visual signals. The VHF isn't a bad idea. For when things REALLY go bad, there's personal EPIRBs.

For the most part, I think I'll just try and stay close to the boat :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom