Safety? Bare Feet or Dive Boots on Liveaboard Decks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really like the Newton Dive boats. I remember them have fondly from my younger days. The deck was raised but could be slippery.

On my last liveaboard trip in Asia, shoes and flip flops were not allowed, and all were collected in bins at the beginning of the trip. Booties to and from diving were ok. I assumed this policy was made based on lots of experience. All walkways had the thin non-slip mats, which in the sun felt like sandpaper.

On my last liveaboard trip in Asia, shoes and flip flops were not allowed, and all were collected in bins at the beginning of the trip. Booties to and from diving were ok. I assumed this policy was made based on lots of experience. All walkways had the thin non-slip mats, which in the sun felt like sandpaper.
And the mats are typically black, so in the sun felt like burning hot sandpaper.

Do not wear crocs. Slipperiest damn things on the planet.
Yeah, Crocs are OK when they are brand new, but get slippery it seems in a matter of hours.
I like the pull-on water shoes. Make sure the soles are rubber, and not some plastic compound (like Crocs have!).

Are crocs a no no? I've never been on a live aboard.
Crocks seem to get slippery fast. All of my crew wore crocs for the longest time, and it seems within a week, 3 of us took bad falls. Crock out, Keens in.

I like bare feet but dam it hurts went I stub my toes on something, and boat have a lot of somethings sticking up to help you out. Good old pair of dock sider are almost as good as bare feet.
Also look out for sunburn on the top of feet.

After witnessing a diver slip and take a spectacular fall on a dock a few years ago, I swore to always dive with good quality dive boots with robust high-traction soles.
So, far I've kept my promise.

But now I'm starting to rethink that when it comes to liveaboards.
If bare feet are as safe on the decks of boats, specifically liveaboards, as dive boots, then I'll save some weight and bulk in my luggage by taking full-foot fins.

So, my question is, are bare feet just as safe from slips and falls on liveaboard decks as dive boots?
What are your experiences?
What are your opinions?

Thanks.
I actually keep my Hoka Ones in my dry bag on deck to switch into for surface interval. You can almost always burn your feet on the hot deck late in the afternoon besides the slip and falls.

Some Crocs have a different sole, that works just fine on boat decks (slippery walk-in freezers). The normal ones are very slippery. Try to find the "Bistro" model or the sadly-discontinued "Boat shoe" model.

You can fall wearing anything or wearing nothing but flip-flops are the most risky. Bare feet are probably your best choice.

Back
Top Bottom