Safe Diving for "Mission Focussed" Folks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
Diver0001, you clearly have issues with Mr. Volker, but what about the underlying question?

Lynne, there is no underlying question. There is only an underlying opinion in what he writes. He's be hammering at this point for almost 10 years and there is no progression in his thinking. Once you peal away all the fluff you will find that what underlies his writing is the *total* and *utter* conviction that if you aren't DIR you can't dive.

There's nothing more to him than that. The rest is just a big smoke and mirrors show with the intent of convincing people of his opinion without actually just coming out and saying it. He's a sneaky writer and just articulate enough to get away with it. In my previous post I showed you how he uses discontinuous logic to make a logical "sounding" argument out of nothing.

It's been my experience that diving with photographers, whether they are DIR photographers or not, is not the reassuring and enjoyable experience that diving with an attentive buddy is, DIR or not. As I understand from reading Jablonski's book and talking to DIR divers that buddy awareness is a fundamental tenet of DIR diving, I have wondered how they deal with photographers.

Yes, that's often the case but the root of the problem is altogether misplaced in a pro-DIR/anti-DIR context, which is what Dan is doing.

The issues involved have largely to do with buddy awareness under task-loading. Taking a picture is a task. Looking for a subject to photograph is a task. Maintaining buddy-contact and awareness is a task ..... Combining these tasks isn't impossible or even difficult if you have a good buddy team with two buddies who are committed to to mission goal (taking pictures). The point is you have to be on the same page with respect to Mission goals, approach (who does what), procedures and so on. If you want to put it in a context then use that one. Getting aligned on these points is not the exclusive right of DIR divers. Everyone is free to do it.

What I see more often than not is that photographers and their buddies are not on the same page with respect to the mission. If you don't have the same goals for dive then you're going to have problems, DIR or no DIR. The whole premise of team diving rests on a couple of foundation pillars. Goals, skills, procedures, techniques, and philosophy. You need alignment on all of them to have a well oiled buddy team. You can dive safely with alignment on goals, procedures and techniques as long as the team dives at the level of the least experienced buddy. But you can't take goals out of the equation without undermining the buddy system.

This is the broken down principle that you and deepseafalcon are seeing.

Which begs the question...what's the solution?

In my mind it begins with awareness. If you are not conscious of doing something wrong then you can't fix it. If you are aware that diving with a photographer means that you (as non-photographer) will have to commit to sharing the goals of the dive then you can have the right discussion with your buddy before you're under water. Same goes for the rest of the items. Can DIR training solve the problem. Yes, partially because DIR divers are trained to pay attention to the things I mentioned. Is it the ONLY solution (as Dan would have you believe)? No.

I'm too naive to be able to split Hogarthian (which I think has more to do with equipment configuration?) from DIR (which I think is Hogarthian-type equipment combined with some skills emphasis and team protocol ideas?) But I've wondered how an ethic that emphasizes buddy awareness and team function copes with self-absorbed divers like photographers . . .

This isn't really related to the thing about photographers but I'll go into it a bit for interest sake.

DIR is mutated Hogarthian. They share some of the same gear and principles but DIR goes much further.

Hogarthian diving rests on a small set of principles and configuration decisions:

Principles:
  • Minimalism - only take what you need and nothing more
  • Redundancy - if you need one take two if you don't need one don't take it. (Reduce, reduce)
  • Solving one problem (in terms of gear but also procedures and techniques) should not create a new problem.
  • Don't solve problems that will not occur
  • divers skill and fitness is paramount to safety
  • gear must be top quality and well maintained
  • A similarly equipped and prepared buddy is required or it's not Hogarthian

Gear:
  • Wrap the long host
  • breathe the long hose
  • Bungie the octopus
  • one piece harness
  • gear should form a cohesive unit
  • no danglies

And that's pretty much it. You should recognise some of these as DIR but DIR goes much further and is much more prescriptive in terms of gear requirements, gas requirements, procedures and so forth.

R..

Diver0001, nice post in response. Thanks.

deepseafalcon:
I guess main weak points are me not enough watching out for her, sharks sneaking up on me I won't notice :) , and my own air supply. The latter so far never became a real problem. In earlier days I used (the now uncommon) reserve valves. For a few years I now use an air integrated computer. Really is a help in that I see air supply at the same time than dive time or depth.

So I guess what we should improve on are certain elements of redundancy/self-reliance. Like ponies. Any other thoughts in this direction?

d-s-f

Fair enough, lecture over, how can you make your diving safer the way you choose to dive?

If possible, set time and air alarms on your computer as reminders and for redundancy.

Use a pony as a redundant gas system.

If possible, have your buddy positioned in an area withing, or close to, your peripheral field of view.

Use a full face mask with audio communication.

I don't use an AI computer or a full face mask with audio. You may want to search for threads or start one dealing with specifics on these subjects if you don't get a response here.

Whatever you do, don't start another pony thread, run a search, and you will find everything you ever wanted to know about every pony thats ever been, or has yet to be, real or imagined - and then some. LOL

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom