Sadness for a minute

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rixxir

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just wanted to put this out there. My 18 year old son is going on his way this weekend. He joined the US Army, active duty, and leaves for basic training Sunday. He is following in my footsteps. He joined as an MP. I was in from 1985 to 1990 and now in Law Enforcement. I thought I would be happy that my son was leaving the nest and I would have a little easier time without the typical teenager/parent struggles. Although I am not going to miss his smart ass/egotistical ways, I am going to miss my son dearly. Don't take for granted what you have. The sadness is starting to hit me. I'm going to miss him, but it is probably the smartest decision he has ever made. Good luck Cory. I will miss you and wish you only the best.....I am proud of you son:depressed::depressed::depressed::depressed::worried::us:

I don't know about you but my time at Ft. McClellan taught me many things about life that I thought I knew before going in.

It taught me better manners, respect for my elders (superiors) and most importantly was taking pride in my self and my appearance.

Your son will more than likely make you very proud in the long run and it will help him to understand where dad is coming from.

Of the troops and for the troops!

57th M.P.Co. (1980-83)

---
- Worst day out on the water is better than the best day at work.

I was HHC 4-34 armor for 3 years in Mainz, Germany. I am sure he will get the same discipline that I received and do some growing up. Thanks

You'll like the guy that comes back. He won't be a kid anymore.

I sure hope so, he really is a good kid, hasn't made any real bad decisions, just very lazy and not ambitious. I didn't get to finish college and I turned out ok so I believe that this is a good choice for him.

Your last night at home son, be safe, I'll miss you and good luck.........Dad. PS Wish I didnt have to work tonight but Ill see you in the am.

How are you and your son doing? I'll bet he was so excited and anxious all at once about starting this new phase in his life that his sadness didn't hit him the same way it hit you, and now he's so busy that he can push it to the back of his mind and heart throughout the day. But it will be there, and he will miss you too--in the early morning, before dropping off to sleep, when he thinks of something he wants to tell you (but to do that he has to actually plan a phone call or an email), or at some unexpected moment of his day.... the two of you will always be connected, even if separated by a physical distance, because you have had a pivotal role in his becoming the young man he is now.

These rite-of-passage events are always momentous. My daughter was married recently, and although she's been living away from home for over ten years, it still made me feel a kind of a loss--somebody else is now her closest family member, y'know? But the world is better for the powerful energy generated by the love she and her new husband share, and I had a role in that by raising her to be the woman she is, so I guess I've gained more than I've lost. And anyway, nobody else in the world will ever be her mom!

You will likely not hear from him for a few weeks. That's a good thing. He will be too busy going through all the stuff he needs to call or write. The biggest mistake I ever made in my life was changing my mind about enlisting after my mom died when I was 17. I don't think my dad wanted anyone else leaving for a while. So I went to a private technical college to take up a subject for one reason. Money. Did not like the area of study and ended up not finishing. Water under the bridge now.

My son did not make the same mistake. Enlisted in the USAF before he graduated. A good kid but seemingly the same as yours. Not as motivated as I would have liked, typical teenager slouching walk. At least he didn't wear his pants around his ankles like many of the kids do. At least around me. He knew better. 8 weeks at Lackland and at his initial parade formation for graduation I almost did not recognize him. And not just by his look. Which was ramrod straight, eyes bright, hair cut short. Along with the BC glasses. (That's birth control glasses for those who do not know- ugly things so named that no one would think of sleeping with somebody wearing them!)

It was his attitude. There was pride, confidence, and an air of competence far beyond anything I had ever seen before. And it was not just him. It was in they eyes of everyone of those young men and women. It was also an air of "don't f with me". I know who I am, what I am capable of, and if the sh!t hits the fan you want me on your side! And that's when if you can keep your eyes from tearing up and outwardly showing the pride you feel you must be in la la land. Because I didn't see a dry eye in the place. Including my own and I didn't care at all.

Even his speech! Yes Sir, No sir, please, thank you. Stuff I had not heard said in a way that was so genuine and respectful. Of course he's back to calling me "old man" now but that's Ok. He's earned that right in Afghanistan, and now Africa. When your son comes through that gate, doorway, etc at his gradution from basic training it will be as if you are seeing him for the first time. As he really is. And if you are like me you will be somewhat in awe of what he has become. And what he now stands for.

He is now one of the guradians of everything we hold dear and he accepts that responsibility. He may not outwardly show it but he knows it, yet he will likely be very humble about it and talk about it in terms of we, they, and them. Meaning those he has just gone thru training with as if they are all one unit. That just adds to the air that will now surround him. Where he will go is also now out of your hands and to an extent, his as well.

MY son went in as an airborne linguist in Mandarin Chinese. Went thru the Presidio (saw him graduate form there as well. Another day filled with pride but also sickened by the attitudes of some people in Monterey. They were advised to not wear their uniforms into town as there had been incidents of name calling and even things thrown at servicemen and women by low lifes. A good argument for allowing them to carry sidearms. Throw a tomato or egg and you get to eat a slug. Nothing like Texas where I saw an older woman nearly knock an airman down so she could hold the door for him! I love Texas. They love their airmen in San Antonio!), then flight crew training. Then because things were not progressing fast enough for him he volunteered for a new job that took him to that hell hole in Afghanistan. Putting himself in harm's way to try and save lives of fellow soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen. He's been deployed 3 times in 2 years. In country more than at home by now.

You can't put a price on how that makes a father feel. Knowing that your child is standing up for what they believe in. In a way that that too many others take for granted or even scorn. I am a firm believer that much of the trouble we see with young people today is out of a lack of pride in themselves. A couple years in uniform would not hurt any one of them. With no exceptions save for physical medical reasons.

That would cure many of the problems we have today. They want to play with guns? Fine, do it in a place where it is called for. With someone shooting back with rpg's and mortars.

Thank you to your son for his service, and for your sacrifice as a parent. I know what it's like.

I received a post card from Ft Leonard Wood pre printed by the Army that said my son was safe in their hands and explained that he was in the in-processing phase and after 4-5 days he would be off to his Basic Training unit. This is all too familiar, as it was the exact same for me at Ft Knox in 1985. I know what he is going through and I think it is the best for him being that he did not wish to attend college. I am proud of him and I know that the Army will teach him properly. Thanks for the input gents.:us:

Back
Top Bottom