Sad...Another Florida Diver Down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cgvmer:
Thank you Gangrel441, I had to look hard for them on my bp/w. I have the golemgear 35lb wing with the golem power inflater. The zip ties, are covered in rubber and are somewhat protected.

The lesson I learn from this thread (and that is the only reason for threads like this) is that I need to inspect my gear well, before each dive, and plan how to survive after a piece of equipment fails.
The other consideration is that you aren't generally yanking on the corrugated inflator hose because the golemgear wing doesn't have the pull dump where it attaches to the wing.

John

I never liked/used the exhaust hose "pull dumps" anyway. I had one on my old Sherwood jacket.

About failing zip ties: I had one fail on my mouthpiece a night dive in rough water once--actually, it was the mouthpiece that failed because of the tie. I was in pretty bad surge, returning from a shore dive. It was a bit disconcerting.

The LDS had talked me into trying one with a new type of soft silicone. He installed it during my annual. I never considered that the zip tie he installed it with would cut through the material.

The mouthpiece came off clean-as-butter.

I check the hoses on my Ranger and my regulator mouthpieces before every dive. I've replaced the zip on the exhaust hose once, but I'm more concerned about the hose itself failing at the tie point. My rig is pretty old, but it has held up well so far...

my condolences to the family, as long as you have good memories then you will never lose a lovedone or a friend. I learn alot by reading and unfortunatly by the expence of ones' life. practice, practice, and more practice!!! everyday is a learning exp.

Why would you worry about doffing a BC because it had a hole in it? It is not like somebody is pouring lead into it. If it has a hole in it and fills slightly with water it won't change your bouyancy. The water cant weigh heavier than all the water around it. I would be more concerned about the weights if I had a hole in my BC, not getting the BC - BP/W off.

One reason I don't understand why you would do this is because most BCs, if not all, have at least some floation even when empty. This is due to the huge amount of material, injection molded plastic parts, regular plastic parts and so on. Even a 2-3 lb buoyancy increase can help you in an emergency if you need help staying on the surface. Of course this could be different if you come up with a tank that is full and therefore negative on its own.

Just curious.

There is more to this than a zip tie failure. Without going into details that have already been beaten to death in this thread lets look at other things most people don't think about. Your bubble watchers! Most bubble watchers aren't divers or boaters. They are Girlfriends, Boyfriends, husbands, wives, kids...etc.

Three key checks before you suit up.

1) Know where you are, but more importantly make sure your bubble watchers know exactly where you are and how to read/operate your Loran or GPS and the radio.
2) Make sure your Bubble Watchers know how to start the boat, where throwing lines/throwable floats are located and the best way to render assistance in your particular vessel. Example; How to start the boat, release the anchor, simple maneuvering, and the importance of shutting it down before pulling anyone in.
3) Plan your dive and dive your plan, and make sure those on the surface know your plan and what to do if that plan goes wrong.

I personally know someone who rendered assistance in this accident. It was very emotional. And like all accidents there were multiple things that went wrong. Of course hind sight being 20/20 we can learn ways to avoid potential risks. Had this diver taken the time to educate his Bubble watchers on what to do he might still be here. If he had taken the time to inspect his gear and worn the correct amount of weight and dumped it at the right time (bla bla bla these were addressed) he wouldn't have put them in that position. (I think that little horse has been beaten enough already....I get it...BC breaks-dump weights bla bla bla you would never do that)

Never assume your bubble watchers or boat bunnies know what to do. Always, always ALWAYS brief them before you go in the water!

There....a fresh new pony to beat on.....go at it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom