Sabah

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alc16

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi folks
I know lots has been written about Sipidan on this site but i'm wondering what is on offer if staying in/close to Kota Kinabalu? I read something on www.malaysia-islands.com (great site btw!) about a couple of day trips but they sound pretty uninspiring and i'm looking for something a bit more although restricted to 4nights and a non-diving (although will learn) partner.

Good local food is a requirement but not mega serious diving (ie. Sipidan/mabul/Layang Layang etc!). I've been out of the water for 2 years (eek!) so time to get wet but not just any old diving! A nice beach would be nice if possible. I want to stay in KK if possible.

With KK your base, your best bet is to dive at the TAR Marine Park. Your partner can undertake training at the park dive sites and you can have some pleasant, though not 'mega-serious' dives.

alc16:
Hi folks
I know lots has been written about Sipidan on this site but i'm wondering what is on offer if staying in/close to Kota Kinabalu? I read something on www.malaysia-islands.com (great site btw!) about a couple of day trips but they sound pretty uninspiring and i'm looking for something a bit more although restricted to 4nights and a non-diving (although will learn) partner.
alc16,
I'm the owner of malaysia-islands.com website. Yes, most of dives off the coast of Kota Kinabalu will be land-based (ie: day trip). There are 5 islands to choose from. The diving, from my experience, was *somewhat* uninspiring as you said, but I enjoyed myself there.

There are options to stay on 2 of these 5 islands (ie: Manukan Island Resort and Gayana Resort). You partner definitely can hang out at the resort(s) whilst you go for diving.

Otherwise, most of the resorts on the coast of Kota Kinabalu are really great, esp Shangri-la Tg Aru, Magellan Sutera, Le Meridien, Hyatt Regency, Nexus Karambunai or Shangri-la Rasa Ria. In general, dive boats from these resorts/hotels will take 10-20 minutes to the dive sites.

alc16:
Good local food is a requirement but not mega serious diving (ie. Sipidan/mabul/Layang Layang etc!). I've been out of the water for 2 years (eek!) so time to get wet but not just any old diving! A nice beach would be nice if possible. I want to stay in KK if possible.
For nice beach, the best one I've seen is on Sapi Island. The beach on Manukan Island isn't too bad either. Mainland beaches in Kota Kinabalu probably not worth a mention (but there are resorts on the beaches anyway, with umbrellas, pool, massage huts, beach bar, etc). It's your pick. Sapi Island is only good for day-trip because there is no resort there.

Happy planning!

Hey folks - thanks for the response. I did come across something about Mantanini island although information is so thin on the ground i'm not sure I want to risk it unless there are day trips available from KK.

What's more, the other half has for some reason, started talking Sipadan. :D
Not sure if I want to spoil a beginner doing a course there though! If she gets addicted then i'm in trouble....:wink:

I was thinking of Mantanani too last November trip. But the price they quoted for 2-3 dives with ground transportation (about 2 hours north of Kota Kinabalu) was beyond my budget. If you opt for 2d1n at the Mantanani Resort, it'd be even more pricey.

alc16 sipidan is not a good place for a beginner. you will have more fun at KK. the dives are more relaxed. if i understand youright your partner still needs to take classes. if taking classes in malaysia sipidan is not the place. KK is its very cheap and the school will have you in the water the second day, first day is for book work. the whole course is 3 days. and cheap as hell. i took my leasons from Sabah divers when i was there in 2004.
talk to neville his an new zeland dm working for sabah divers tony ma or mah is the owner. great people and lots of fun.

as far as food depends what you call great. i love the food but i usually eat in the local open air coffe shops.

hotels depends on your budget. i like the hotels in town because i love to walk around instead of taking taxi's every where. le meridian is where i stayed this summer very nice. although the hyatt is good also. stay away from the prommanade has gone down hill. a little out of town you can find suetra harbor and tan jan anrug (spelling).

try this web site for info http://www.sabahtourism.com/

if you do decide to go and you like simple food but good let me know and i can get some names and possible adresses of restraunts for you from my wife. shes a local so she knows the area and names i just tell her what type of food i like when we are there and she knows the restraunt i want to go to.

Thanks guys for the advice.
I'm not 100% on the lady learning off Sipadan but she's already proceeded with classes here in Shanghai and is very keen - I won't stop her! She just didn't want to be stuck in a class for 90% of our intended stay period hence - either way, I am a winner as i'm going somewhere I want to go!:wink: Still, I miss out on KK for this time around but if the lady does become 'addicted' to diving then we'll definintely return.

Appreciate your responses!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom