Saba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not an expert, but there are experts on Saba here on the board. What exactly do you want to know?

Here's our report from last summer. Maybe it will help.

How's the diving there? Is the any shore diving? How about walls? Restaurants any good? Would you return? How does it compare to Curacao, Dominica, St.Kitts, etc?

I lived on St. Kitts for a few years and traveled to Saba for vacations. No shore diving it think as there aren't any beaches - it's basically a mountain jutting out of the water, but the diving is SPECTACULAR on its own, and it blows St. Kitts out of the water when you compare the two b/c it has MPAs for one (so many more fish), and they have the most amazing pinnacles. I really loved it.

My friends dove in Dominica and liked Saba much better, but I didn't personally experience that.

Food was great. Nice restaurants. Charming island. Great hiking if you're spending any time topside. St. Kitts is bigger - more to do topside. Saba has a European feel; St. Kitts feels like the West Indies!

The diving in St. Kitts isn't bad - don't get me wrong. I love that island and can't wait to go back; but it doesn't hold a candle to Saba for the simple reason that there are no MPAs on St. Kitts, the island is extremely overfished, and topographically - Saba has pinnacles, St. Kitts has 1, and the dive ops never go there b/c it gets lousy vis b/c of the current.

welcome aboard

Thanks for the info. I think I'll check Saba out next January. I was less than impressed with the diving in St Kitts, but they did have a great golf course. I'd rather dive, so I'll leave the clubs at home.

I dove with Sea Saba. The pinnacle dives were a blast and after my dives they recommended things to do on land. Very good dive op.

We dove with Sea Saba as well and they were great. Lynn was really helpful. They can help you with accomodations and such. They also send someone to pick you up at the airport. Definitely leave the clubs at home. If you go there, you will quickly understand why they will never have a golf course.

We have some photos from Saba here, but we were only there for a day and it was before I had a strobe or was even a little good at taking photos underwater:

Saba Favorites - May 2008 - a set on Flickr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom