S90 + WP-DC35 + Epoque ES-230 DS Auto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

splasher

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Guys
I’m new this forum so please excuse any inappropriate blunders.
Since 2003 I’ve been using a Fuji S2 Pro DSLR in an Aquatica housing with YS120 strobes but needed something much smaller and lighter for certain dives.
So I’ve just purchased a Canon S90 + WP-DC35 housing + Epoque ES-230 DS Auto strobe.
Of course I appreciate the S90 is a completely different animal to the Fuji and although the S90 compares favourably with the number of pixels (S90=10 million / Fuji= 6.17 million), the actual size of the S90 chip is tiny when compared to the Fuji (S90=0.43 cm² / S2 Pro 3.56 cm²) and this results in vastly different pixel densities of 23mp/cm² and 1.73mp/cm² respectively.
OK so I’m guessing that I’m really gonna need to maximize the performance of the S90 to achieve anything close to comparable results and my gut feel is therefore to shoot in RAW, minimize the ISO setting, supply as much light as possible and ensure I’m properly composing and filling the frame so no subsequent cropping is required.
With the Fuji DSLR I’m used to letting the TTL on the YS 120s take care of the exposure using TTL and employing aperture control on the camera. This has worked well up until now, so I thought I would endeavour to employ the same principles with the S90.
Somehow I convinced myself that I’d be able to get to grips with the S90 fairly quickly to mimic the above configuration, but several “features” have caught me by surprise, not least the camera’s inability to retain certain settings when it’s turned off, especially since there is such a huge range of possibilities.
The maiden voyage for my S90 is an imminent Red Sea Safari which regrettably leaves me with insufficient time to become overly familiar with all the options prior to the trip.
I’m guessing that somewhere there is someone who has configured their S90 with an external strobe to maximize its performance, so I’m hoping for some useful advice on setup and methods of retaining settings.
Any helpful comments would be most welcome.

Yes, I have but with Inon D2000 strobes. N

Thanks for the pointer
Created a user account but don't know my around uwphotographyguide forum
Do you have a URL for S90 setting recommendations ?
Thanks

See, the thing is that I mostly shoot the S90 with my Inon D2000 strobes in External Auto, occasionally in the Inon sTTL mode. Both work excellent but the External Auto mode is very conservative of camera battery power because the camera can be set to Manual internal flash and low power just to trigger the strobe only.

That is key with the S90 regardless of what strobe you shoot is to conserve camera battery power. I suggest you shoot your strobe in manual since I admittedly know nothing about the strobe you have. I would also configure the S90 for either Av mode and/or Manual mode. First, under Menu go in and turn the camera flash to Manual and set the power to low or 1/3 level. This will also cancel the preflash in Av or Tv and of course there is never a pre-flash in Manual mode on the camera.

Now, go in and turn your IS to shoot only and turn off the focus assist light and turn off all of the auto/safety overrides. Set your power saver to not turn the camera off but to allow the LCD screen to turn off. It will wake up with a shake or a button press.

Be sure to configure your strobe to not expect a pre-flash because with the S90 configured as above there will be no pre-flash.

I find that my camera and Canon P&S units like to be set to about minus 1 and 1/3 stops under - for my tastes.

Remember, expose your near subject via strobe and f stop selection and strobe power setting, match f stop on camera to strobe etc. Now, also remember to expose your background with your shutter speed, dark background, fast-er shutter etc.

Does this help you any?

N

I don't have S90, but I have Epoque ES-230DS which I paired with Oly SP-350 w/ sync. cord instead of FO for obvious reasons.
It work well in auto but most of the time I in manual mode; I set the oly on 4 mymode - supermacro, macro, WA and natural light.
at the beginning very inconvenient to manually control the strobe since the power control dial is very small and continues. It take some time to familiarize the manual control of epoque. You also need to install the supplied diffuser all the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom