S90, Housing, Strobe Question for Snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spoobs

Registered
Reaction score
I have used an Olympus SP350 in Olympus housing with Olympus UFL-1 slave strobe while snorkeling. I am in the process of upgrading to the S90 which I just purchased. I will need to purchase a housing and have not yet decided between the Canon, Ikelite and new Fisheye when available (quite a bit more expensive). Is there a way to use my Olympus UFL-1 with the S90 in any of these housings? I plan only to be snorkeling and so I don't need a very bright strobe. The UFL-1 is not very powerful and is similar to the Sea and Sea YS-17. I was able to use the UFL-1 with the Olympus camera without a fiber-optic cable since the flash recognized the camera's flash. Will I need a fiber-optic cable to use the UFL-1 with the S90 in all of these housings? Any suggestions. Thank you.

Yes, you will need to use a fiber optic cable with the flash. The Olympus housings allow for a certain amount of the internal flash to shoot straight up to the UFL-1 sensor located on the strobe's underside. Relocating the strobe or using a non-Olympus housing reduces the chances of the strobe firing.

The UFL-1, in addition to being a weak strobe, has a small angle of light dispersal. If I recall, its about 67 degrees. This is very narrow for wide angle photography.

On the plus side, if the angle of light and the volume of light has been enough for you up to now, then don't worry about it. As for the fiber optic cable, the Sea and Sea cables fit the UFL-1 perfectly. You will not need to make any changes or accommodations to the strobe to use that fiber optic cable.

I have often used my Olympus 770sw with two UFL-1 strobes and had great success. The fiber ends simply push up into the light sensing hole on the strobe's underside (near the front).

Back
Top Bottom