S620ti 2nd stage hose replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WHan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The original rubber hose attached to the SP S620ti second stage was torn which I only noticed after so many dives. The hose and regs set is only 2 years old. Pretty sure it should last me at least 10 years but I digress. I did what I had to do and replaced the hose with a used miflex hose (mint condition). After removing the spline nut and attaching the hose, I noticed that the o-ring is exposed. Is this supposed to happen? Dry tested it and also tested it in a bath. So far no leakage.

My question is two parts: 1) is this acceptable? 2) if yes, how often would I need to replace the o-ring? (I dive every weekend).

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• SP_S620ti_Miflex.jpg
    SP_S620ti_Miflex.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 32
My understanding is that this oring is only there to avoid water intrusion (and subsequent corrosion) into the exposed threads, it doesn't affect the working of the second stage in any way and is purely cosmetic. The required seal is made inside the barrel, where the oring on the thin plug in the hose meets the inner surface of the barrel.

Thank you! I couldn't find anything in google and looked through the servicing manual yet couldn't find the answer I was looking for. I will give it a dive and see how it goes. <3

Update: Got my friend to take a look at it. He changed it with a slightly thinner o-ring and it's no longer 'exposed' as picture. Hooray!

This O-ring has no sealing purposes, nor does it prevent water intrusion into the threads of the hose. It shouldn't be changed with a thinner O-ring one either.

It's purpose is to prevent the nut of the hose getting tightened too much against the spline nut of the second stage. It is sort of a buffer if you want to think about it like that.

Yes! That makes a lot of sense. The original o-ring was slightly thinner than the one I replaced but as long as it doesn't leak and breathing is fine, it should be fine :D

Locking oring, ridiculous idea, leave the oring out before your reg loosens and falls off and you lose it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom