S100 with Meikon housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

garycrano

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I currently have a S100 in an Ikelite housing.I am going to sell the housing as it a pile of crap.
I have had a canon housing in the past and it was great to use but i have seen Meikon housings advertised and the the price is a lot less than the canon.I was wondering if anybody here has had any experience with them and especially in deeper water.
I would like to know what you think.

I have bought a meikon housing for S100 to a friend of mine as a present last year due to the obsoletion of the canon original housing in my place.

So far, she've brought the housing down to 33m in her last maldive dive with no issue.

However, she mentioned that during one of her dives, the housing fogged badly and saw some salt crysalizatio n on the lens port.

It could be due to the fact she didn't put enough silica gel because she insisted that having too many pack of silica gel may get it stuck somewhere in the housing. But i do think there must be a way to secure the packs properly depending on personal creativity. And just because she dives more and longer than me she think she's also better in everything in diving. So, she refuses to listen and kept arguing.

I will try out this coming emd of august during my AOW and see if its going to work.

So far, other than the fogging, there's no problem at all.

Ya... i also realized that the pin on the hinge started to rust. Maybe I'll change it to a stainless steel pin when I get the housing.

I have a Meikon housing for my s110 and so far (30 dives) it has worked flawlessly. I have never had it fog and I don't use silica. The housing seems similar or a little better built than Canons own, which I have also been happy with previously.

I have never had i below 40m but I also think that is what it is rated to.

I have a Meikon housing for my s110 and so far (30 dives) it has worked flawlessly. I have never had it fog and I don't use silica. The housing seems similar or a little better built than Canons own, which I have also been happy with previously.

I have never had i below 40m but I also think that is what it is rated to.
Actually the fogging happened when ny friend was diving at Maldives. Not sure of the reason.

But according to description, it was like salt crystalization on the lens of the housing.

I have an S110, and meikon housing. So far around 100 dives with it, and a max depth of 34m. Not really done any maintenance on it, been trouble free so far.. Quite pleased based on the price.

She mentioned someone opened her case while on the boat between dives. Maybe that fella also touched the camera with wet hands which causes the moisture trapped inside the case

You should not open and close a wet camera housing because then you will get moisture inside. I have used my housing and camera in anything from the cold waters of Norway in the winter to more tropical destinations in Africa without any fogging. I have always assembled my rig in the morning before leaving the place I stay.

You should not open and close a wet camera housing because then you will get moisture inside. I have used my housing and camera in anything from the cold waters of Norway in the winter to more tropical destinations in Africa without any fogging. I have always assembled my rig in the morning before leaving the place I stay.
Thanks. [emoji4]

Just a little update on the meikon housing for the S100.

On the previous dives trip, the housing still fogs. And she also realized some leaks. Didn't flood the camera though. So, i took back the housing and changed all the little orings on the back cover.

While changing the o-rings. I realized the stem of the "menu" button corroded. I cleaned the stem, greased it well, replaced the orings.

I didn't manage to change to orings for the front dial, zoom dial and the shutter button. Send it to pressure test until 2 bar(equiv = 20m) everything was okay statically. I didn't manage to press the button during the pressure test.

Then we went for our dive at Tenggol Island 2 weeks ago. Still, there was fogging problem when we went down to 28m. And the issue was caused by leaking again. And now, the shutter button.

For S100 model, i was looking at ikelite housing as a replacement for her. Somehow, i went through alot of post and negative comments on the ikelite housing specifically for this S100 model. Buttons weren't aligned properly. Stucked buttons on below 30m. Zoo.trigger isn't spring centered and etc.

So, i think i'm going to change the oring for the remaining button and stick with the housing...

If you are using internal flash with a poly-carbonate housing it is very difficult (almost impossible) to not have the housing fog, especially the Canon/Meikon which tend to fit snug.

Ikelite is probably slightly better as their is a larger volume inside the housing, but for the extra money I ended up going down the aluminium route and never have any fogging issues now.

If you are finding specific buttons leak, an issue which I had, where you would get a few drops in the housing, I found applying some extra silicon grease on the shaft (inside & out) helped a little.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom