s100 housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike jj

owi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've decided to upgrade from my Canon housing, and am having a hard time deciding between Fix and Recsea. Any input would be appreciated. I have two sea & sea ys-01 strobes if that makes any difference.

Thank You
Mike

I can offer no opinion about the Recsea, but can tell you I just bought and used the FIX for my S95.

The quality of the housing is excellent, and it performed perfectly on the 15 dives I took it out on, as well as 3 days of snorkeling. All the buttons worked, it was easy to focus, etc...

Have been using the FIX S90 for the last 2 years and have been quite happy with it.

My housing was made by Recsea for Fisheye and all the design DNA is basically that of Recsea. Fisheye switched subcontractors with the S95 and S100 versions and those were made by Nauticam for Fisheye and has the corresponding design DNA. At least this is how I understand it.

Looking at the current specs of both offerings, I would give the Recsea the nod over the Fisheye because of the way the front ring control is situated. That giant front control ring is a major improvement over the previous versions.

That seems to me to be the big difference between the two.

i am contemplating upgrading as well now...i want access to my function ring.

If you have any chance of trying them out you should. I have tried them both and opted for the Recsea as the front ring control is far superior to the Fix solution as well as the rear controls. Recsea has a wheel that perfectly mimics the S100 rear dial while the Fix housing has separate buttons and dial. I found it easier to turn the rear dial with just my thumb on the Recsea.

The shutter trigger is something I preferred on the Fix as the motion to press it was more what I was used to as you press down just like on the camera itself and the Cannon housing. The Recsea trigger is pressed towards you like on big DSLR housings. Takes some getting used to, at least for me.

Build quality is similar – excellent. They are both built like a tank.

Fix also has a more useful optical cable adapter if you already own Sea&Sea cables as you can plug them directly into the flash cover.

I ended up with the Fix. Living in Iowa I couldn't put my hands on either one. I think I would like the bigger wheels on the Recsea, but there are a couple of small things on the Fix I also liked. In the end I just asked the the gentleman at the online store to choose, and I ended up with the Fix housing and Fix 28m52 lens. They should be here today.

Thank You for your input
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom