S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald 30th Anniversary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CBulla

~..facebook conch..~
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Today marks the 30th Anniversary of the sinking of the S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald. Having been introduced to the story by my wife (she's from Detroit area) I've found it a fascinating story about this Great Lakes freighter and the last cruise which obviously didn't make it.

Here is an exerpt from the website dedicated to the story and preservation of the history of the Fitzgerald.

7:10 PM

Radio transmission between the Anderson and the Fitzgerald.

The Fitzgerald is still being followed by the Arthur M. Anderson. They are about 10 miles behind the Fitzgerald.

Anderson: "Fitzgerald, this is the Anderson. Have you checked down?"

Fitzgerald: "Yes we have."

Anderson: "Fitzgerald, we are about 10 miles behind you, and gaining about 1 1/2 miles per hour. Fitzgerald, there is a target 19 miles ahead of us. So the target would be 9 miles on ahead of you."

Fitzgerald: "Well, am I going to clear?"

Anderson: "Yes. He is going to pass to the west of you."

Fitzgerald: "Well, fine."

Anderson: "By the way, Fitzgerald, how are you making out with your problem?"

Fitzgerald: "We are holding our own."

Anderson: "Okay, fine. I'll be talking to you later."

They never did speak later...The 29 men onboard the Fitzgerald will never again speak with anyone outside of the ship.

Sometime between 7:20 and 7:30 PM
It is estimated that this was the time period when the ship vanished and sank.

7:15 PM
The Fitzgerald enters a squall while still on Lake Superior; the squall obscures the vessel from radar observation by the Anderson; this is normal when in a squall.

7:25 PM
Edmund Fitzgerald disappears from the radar of the S.S. Arthur M. Anderson, prompting a call to the Coast Guard to inform them of the situation.

Wisconson Public Radio has a 30th anniversary commemoration: http://wpr.org/announce/fitzgerald.cfm

I'd share a link to listen to Gorden Lightfoots song The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald but I don't seem to have any!

May the 29 souls who were lost on this day 30 years ago rest in peace!!

CBulla:
May the 29 souls who were lost on this day 30 years ago rest in peace!!

Yes, and may their families have found some peace also.

Strange sidenote ..... we had a storm yesterday that was eerily like that storm 30 years ago. It really brought that day back. Few people could actually believe the Fitz went down that night. It was surreal.

CBulla,

Thanks for posting this. I was born in Cleveland, where the Fitz was headed that night, I believe.

My good thoughts to the families of those 29 brave souls.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom