S.F. Tolmie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swankenstein:
The latest on my site:S.F. TOLMIE WRECK -Not the greatest, but something new.

Nice addition to the web site Mark. I use to dive the wreck 12 to 14 years ago. they wasn't much of the wreck left then so it must be pretty bare, at the time everybody thought it was the wreck of the Major Tompkins. Until the Underwater Archaeological Society of BC measured the wreck and discover that it was long to be the Tompkins. I used to go there from shore until the Military Police close the area to all divers.
So where is the Major Tompkins?

Hyper-limits:
Nice addition to the web site Mark. I use to dive the wreck 12 to 14 years ago. they wasn't much of the wreck left then so it must be pretty bare, at the time everybody thought it was the wreck of the Major Tompkins. Until the Underwater Archaeological Society of BC mesured the wreck and discover that it was long to be the Tompkins. I used to go there from shore until the Military Police close the area to all divers.
So where is the Major Tompkins?
According to "Shipwrecks of Southern British Columbia", it ran aground at Macaulay Point in Esquimalt. The boiler and machinery were salvaged and the hull was raised and towed into the harbour and sold at auction. So no wreck after all, unless it was repaired and sank again later. By the way, I think we got our underwear mixed up.

swankenstein:
By the way, I think we got our underwear mixed up.

We're talking about diving underwear I hope, It stink by the way so I had to wash them for you. :wink:

swankenstein:
So no wreck after all, unless it was repaired and sank again later.

This is good to know. We got our hands on an older, out-of-print, diving book ("141 dives of [some place]"... something of that regard). I photocopied the local shore dives as there were a few I was unaware of, with the Thompson wreck being one of them. It was on our todo list... but I guess I can scratch it off now. Or, I could go and report if anything is indeed there.

- ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:
This is good to know. We got our hands on an older, out-of-print, diving book ("141 dives of [some place]"... something of that regard). I photocopied the local shore dives as there were a few I was unaware of, with the Thompson wreck being one of them. It was on our todo list... but I guess I can scratch it off now. Or, I could go and report if anything is indeed there.

- ChillyWaters

In Betty Pratt-Johnson 141 Dives on page 262 "wreck of the Major Tompkins" there is a wreck there not the Tompkins but the S.F. Tolmie. So the Pictures Swank got on his website are those of the Tolmie. The only problem is you don't have access to wreck from shore anymore. Which make it a boat dive and IMO it would be too expensive to pay for a charter for this dive.

swankenstein:
I agree. I like the barge wreck in Deep Cove better and it's still a shore dive.

Thanks for the clarifications.

As for the Deep Cove barge, I've been there a few times and haven't been disappointed. Once we ran into nearly 100 white-lined dironas scattered along the bottom, right before the wreck -- I have been known to exaggerate on occasion. Last time out we actually found several small white sea pens. But yes, the wreck itself is home to lots itself too. It's definitely a fun dive in the inlet -- but due to run-off, can be a bit cold.

- ChillyWaters

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom