?s diving arkansas / ozark area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dekies

New
Reaction score
I'm planning a anniversiary trip later this summer. Are there any cabin rentals in this area that you can shore dive from? Thanks.

dekies:
I'm planning a anniversiary trip later this summer. Are there any cabin rentals in this area that you can shore dive from? Thanks.
What lake/reservour in the Ozark area do you want to dive/stay at?

Bull Shoals, Norfolk, Table Rock, Beaver, I might be able to help you with some info on these if you want to pm me. terry@heese.us

Table Rock and Beaver are both nice lakes to dive. Both are very rocky bottoms with good vis for fw.

I may be visiting the NW AR/SW MO area soon, what opportunities are there to get wet?

When Lake of the Ozarks was built were there any towns or structures inudated that are interesting to dive?

Thanks,
Drew

I live in Fayetteville. Beaver Lake around the dam is pretty good but it's still chilly right now (58 degrees as of Saturday). You'd need a drysuit or a 7 mil. above the thermocline. Vis is quite good for a lake. Jack at Sportsco is Springdale 479-751-0636 can help with directions as he's crawled all around the lake for years. He runs the dive shop. He may know of rentals in the area as well. Hope this helps.

I've done some diving in Lake Norfork. You can shore dive but most of the resorts don't have cabins right on the lake because it's all run by the core of engineers.

IME, to get to the best dive sites you really need a boat. The diving is usually pretty good around the bluffs on the main lake and sometimes near some of the brush piles but it's often pretty lousy in the bays where you often have good shore access.

Lake Ouachita (pronouced Wa-shi-taw) is a good place to dive. May be too far south for ya. (I'm from Arkansas...had to throw in a southern accent) Hot Springs is a great place to stay though. There are hotels within driving distance or some great camp grounds. Shore diving is a problem. You'll need a boat to get to the coves. Banana cove is popular and/or the famous checker board rock formation. Rick's Dive and Travel Center, out of Little Rock, has a boat available most weekends.

Greer Ferry lake is nice too and very close to Heber Springs. Another "romantic" get-away in Arkansas.

Bull, Beaver, and Norfork are the same. The water temp is freakin' freezin' right now. Viz ain't worth much. Be careful of the bass fisherman! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom