RX100 M2 Died - New Cam Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm interested to hear what you decide..Please keep us posted! :)

Just an update: I think I've decided to stick with the Sony RX100 line. Looks like I can probably get an open box one from Best Buy for a decent price - most likely the IV, possibly the III.

Meikon makes a budget-priced strobe now - SeaFrogs ST 100 Waterproof Flash strobe for A6500 A6000 A7 II RX100 I/II/ III/IV/V underwater Camera Housings Diving Case -in Flashes from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group - I don't have any personal experience with it, but that's what I'm planning to get once I'm ready for strobes.

Many strobes (including the one I linked above) have a focus light, but this is only used to aid focusing, not for shooting video. i-Torch makes a Symbiosis combination strobe and video light, but at $700, it's quite expensive.

Thanks for the suggestion! That looks somewhat reasonable...

I was planning on buying this housing:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013LNOSGY/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A12LB5MEUIY3R7
They had it for $179 with an arm, red filter, and other accessories included, but it looks like they sold the last of that bundle. But it's looking like I might be able to get the RX100 IV, housing, and a strobe for about $900, which doesn't seem terrible... Thanks for everyone's help!
--Kyle

You can get the same bundle via Aliexpress for $145 (there is an additional discount applied at checkout).

Thanks, I just found that one :) and this one:
For Sony DSC RX100 III RX100 III RX100III 40m/130ft Meikon Underwater Camera Housing Diving Case kit, Aluminum Diving Handle-in Camera/Video Bags from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

But the one odd thing I noticed on both of these housings... The flash diffuser (and I think the fiber optic ports for the strobe) are in the middle of the camera housing, but the flash itself is on the corner of the camera. How will that work? Am I missing something? Thanks,
--Kyle

Reading the comments on Amazon, it sounds like the “Camdive” housing is made by (identical to) Meikon? One caveat is the Meikon does not allow you to turn the wheel on the camera back which adjusts shutter speed. That might not be an issue for you.

Reading the comments on Amazon, it sounds like the “Camdive” housing is made by (identical to) Meikon? One caveat is the Meikon does not allow you to turn the wheel on the camera back which adjusts shutter speed. That might not be an issue for you.

That might be the case - unless it can be set in other ways. I had to figure out alternate ways to do things like that (custom white balance and ISO) with the RX100 M2. Thanks,
--Kyle

But the one odd thing I noticed on both of these housings... The flash diffuser (and I think the fiber optic ports for the strobe) are in the middle of the camera housing, but the flash itself is on the corner of the camera. How will that work? Am I missing something? Thanks,

I don't have that housing, but looking at product photos and a video review, that diffuser snaps over a pair of fiber optic ports - I haven't been able to find clear photos of the housing's insides, but maybe there's a light guide in there? In any case, the on-camera flash by itself, with diffuser or without, is generally useless underwater - it's only useful for triggering off-camera strobes. Looking at the video review here, there appears to be enough light getting through to accomplish that task.

Meikon makes a budget-priced strobe now - SeaFrogs ST 100 Waterproof Flash strobe for A6500 A6000 A7 II RX100 I/II/ III/IV/V underwater Camera Housings Diving Case -in Flashes from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group - I don't have any personal experience with it, but that's what I'm planning to get once I'm ready for strobes.

FYI, this strobe is on sale for the next couple of days at AliExpress - $245 and there's a $5 store coupon as well. Cheers,
--Kyle

I had a Canon S100 that died on a trip...ninghtmare. So because Inhad a new housing I bought a second hand S110 on EBay. This worked so well that I bought a second to have as a spare. Both lasted about 200dives between them and are still going well. Getting one second hand is a great option at a low cost.

I got a TG5 earlier this year and took it to Lembeh. After the Canon I expected to be disappointed , but it’s brilliant especially for macro. I got really strong colours straight from the camera and with a bit of enhancing and cropping the photos are way better than I expected.

Hope this helps a bit and have a great trip.

I got a TG5 earlier this year and took it to Lembeh. After the Canon I expected to be disappointed , but it’s brilliant especially for macro. I got really strong colours straight from the camera and with a bit of enhancing and cropping the photos are way better than I expected.

Hope this helps a bit and have a great trip.

Thanks! I owned the old Canon S40 and S50 cameras back in the day and really liked them. :)

I kind of like the idea of getting the Olympus TG5 as a second camera. It would be great to use on shallower, macro specific dives without a case and to have as a backup in case of issues with my main camera.

Anyway, I should have posted that I bought the Sony RX100 IV. :) eBay had a 20% off everything sale for a day, so I got a nice deal on a used one. I haven't used it much, but it seems to work fine. Looking forward to diving with it soon! Cheers,
--Kyle

Back
Top Bottom