RX100 IV - Red Filter vs C.Temp White Balance, etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably depends on the design of the case and how the o-ring is contained. For example both my dive torches and INON Z-240s arrived having been shipped by air with o-rings in place and they were fine. But if you take out the o-ring or leave off the port if it has one, it won't be a problem because it can't hold any pressure!

I agree with Chris Ross, it must vary among housing designs. I've flown with a closed housing (Meikon) a handful of times, with no trouble opening afterwards. Haven't tried it with my Nikon or Fantasea housings. Frankly, I'm kind of surprised that outward leakage of air would occur with any housing, given the small (~0.2 bar, as Barmaglot has stated) pressure gradient involved. Would like to hear others' experiences.

To Ash176, you'd probably get more responses if you'd started a new thread with a title like "flying with camera housings" as the current thread is likely to be read mostly by RX100 owners.

Thank you all for the kind responses. I really appreciate it. The shop owner also did tell me to also remove the o-ring before flying but I'm not comfy in removing o-ring and putting them back.

Perhaps I'd start another thread just to have more responses and see if it's feasible to just fly with the case open.

Removing the o-ring to clean and lubricate the o-ring and its channel is a normal part of housing maintenance - you should do it every once in a while, or you risk a housing flood. It's also inadvisable to store the housing for extended periods with the o-ring under compression, as it will cause it to deform and reduce its sealing ability.

I carry on my Fantasea housing, strobes, video light, Perdix, dive lights. All have o-rings and are closed. I haven't had any problem opening any of them after roughly 50 ish flights.
YMMV

Back
Top Bottom