RX mask from Snorkel Bob's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orangelion03

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is that sniggling I hear? :monkey_2:

I recently started dive classes. I purchased a mask at my LDS that fit very well and had RX lenses fitted (seperate cut lenses that are attached to the mask lens with a clear adhesive). Cost was reasonable, delivery about 3 weeks. Worked great under water, no problems. Last weekend, after returning from a wonderful beach dive (So Cal, water temp was 60, viz 15-20, sunny day), I was cleaning my kit and accidentally knocked my mask off the counter and it shattered when it hit the tile floor. With my boat dives set for next weekend, I was pissed off. Then I remembered that when I was in Maui last year, I rented snorkel gear from Snorkel Bob's in Lahaina...they had RX masks available for rent in half diopter increments down to -10 (yours truly has -9.5 and -10). It was a very nice mask, fit great. I called them up and they informed me that they sell the RX masks for $145 plus shipping. Excellent! Ordered a Semo Betta, with RX lenses (they are integral, not stick-ons), had them overnighted from Hawaii, total cost was $175. This was LESS than I had paid for my "custom" mask. The one negative is that they are only available with clear skirt, and due to my correction I'm cursed with a lot of extraneous reflections and prefer a black skirt.

Dont let the mask price scare you off...when combined with RX lenses, it's a decent deal.

http://www.snorkelbob.com/cgi-local...rx.html?L+scstore+mgsx4586ffa247a2+1116643677

Note that they also offer kids masks with RX lenses, the Lil'Mo (good for adults with small faces as well)

Snorkel Bob is the man! Does it have the logo?

I still rock my snorkel bob brand snorkel that I bought used in 1994 with a mask for like $20. It's a little yellowed, but has seen some serious abuse and is still going strong. The mask is still okay too, though I've since upgraded that.

By the way, if anyone is looking for a supplementary guide book for Hawaii, I really enjoyed his (not sure if it's been updated since '94, but it was awesome back then).

D_O_H:
Snorkel Bob is the man! Does it have the logo?
By the way, if anyone is looking for a supplementary guide book for Hawaii, I really enjoyed his (not sure if it's been updated since '94, but it was awesome back then).

Yup, has the logo on the frame, and on the corner of each lens (cant see it when I look through). The SB shop on Front Street in Lahaina has a dive shop next door (Maui Adventures), really nice folks with whom I'll be scheduling dives with when we go back in July. They organize combo scuba/snorkel trips which will be convenient as my g'friend and her daughter dont scuba.

The guide book has been updated...2003?? My g'friend has to buy EVERY guide book she can get her hands on and picked theirs up. Well written, very informative, and generously sprinkled with humor.

FWIW. I've got my Mares X-Vision with corrective lenses from Larry at Scubatoys.com for under the price you've named. :wink:
Arrived withing 2 days too :D

aquaoren:
FWIW. I've got my Mares X-Vision with corrective lenses from Larry at Scubatoys.com for under the price you've named. :wink:
Arrived withing 2 days too :D

Thanks for that information aquaoren! I'm thinking I need a spare as well as bifocals so I'll probably call ST and ask for pricing. Is yours an integral lens (that is the RX lens also the mask lens) or is it a seperate lens attached to the mask lens? As to the pricing, what is your RX? Mine is -9.50/-10.0 and I have always been charged a premium for them (as was the case from Scuba Optics who made the set I broke). I was on the phome with Larry this AM, thanking him for the excellent service on gear I ordered Friday, shipped Monday, arrived yesterday. :thumbs-up

These are the lenses that Mares offeres and what you called integral. You exchange them with the lenses that come with the mask or you can even ask Larry to do it for you, which I did. All Rx.-lenses cost the same regarless the strength. I bought 2 masks (one for my wife too) with Rx variing from -2.0 to -8.5. All the same price.
Nowdays, many other companies offer Rx.-lenses that can be exchanged. I know that beside Mares, Cressi-Sub and Tusa offeres them too.

aquaoren:
with Rx variing from -2.0 to -8.5. All the same price.
Nowdays, many other companies offer Rx.-lenses that can be exchanged. I know that beside Mares, Cressi-Sub and Tusa offeres them too.

Checked it out, and sure enough, no ones offers lenses with my gross correction :crying2:

orangelion03:
Checked it out, and sure enough, no ones offers lenses with my gross correction :11:

Don't feel like the lone ranger. I dive with -9.5 corrective lenses in my Technisub Look mask (available in Europe; it's identical to the Aqualung/US Divers Look). These lenses were literally off-the-shelf at a local dive shop here in Warsaw, Poland last year. The Aqualung/US Divers web site only says that optical lenses are available; the Technisub web site says they're available up to -10.

There are other off-the-shelf possibilities, -- though admittedly a bit hard to find. Prices seem to run about $30-35 for each lens. Of course, they don't correct for astigmatism, which tends to be higher with higher spherical corrections. My astigmatism is a bit high, at about -2; but spherical lenses work fine for me underwater. And my presbyopia isn't bad enough yet that I need bifocals underwater.

And the possibilities are even wider with custom lenses. SeaVision will make custom lenses for just about any two-lens mask. Clear lenses with spherical correction run somewhere around $37 each; I just had some made for my daughter's Mares Opera mask, which seems to have been discontinued. Not sure if they make them in our correction, but I would guess they would. One issue may be that they don't make their lenses from glass, but from resin. That would mean that they're not as scratch-resistant as glass (though people have said they haven't had problems); they'd also be a bit thicker. But on the other hand much lighter.

--Marek

I too use a "see-mo-bettah" mask from SB - I tried on several and liked his the best. (-7 /-8 diopters) though I kind of wish I had gotten the actual RX lenses special ordered to correct for my astigmatism - but still it's a nice mask. Fortunately I live walking distance from there so no shipping on mine. Gotta love Snorkel Bob's ads too - they are funny. http://www.snorkelbob.com/

Aloha, Tim

Snorkel Bob pulls no punches:

Snorkel Bob:
I, Snorkel Bob, present the best snorkel/dive gear in the world, bar none, and will warrant it for 2 years (save your receipt). These masks, fins and snorkels come from decades of testing in the largest research facility on Planet E. YES! Serving 2 million snorkelers through the 80's and 90's and now the 00's makes me, Snorkel Bob, different from the shirts in Chicago, LA or Tokyo, with their 14 floors, receptionists, secretaries, water coolers, coffee makers and don't forget the dictation. It's a dozen stressed engineers who last saw 8 hours of sunshine in grad school, now testing theory in a swimming pool. I, Snorkel Bob, know what's best by listening to you who want to breathe easy in the fluid dream.
At 2 feet or 200, the SEAMO™, MIDMO™, SEAMO BETTA™ and the LI'L MO BETTA™ top the bell curve on my, Snorkel Bob's, modality graphs. With low volume, light weight,high strength and optimal performance, I, SB, suffer unlubricated commerce with the so-called major manufacturers no mo. Some of their products are good, but NOWHERE WILL YOU FIND MORE BANG FOR YOUR BUCK THAN RIGHT HERE! THESE MASKS WILL OUTLIVE YOU, EVEN IF YOU DON'T DROWN!

That said, I use a Mares mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom