RX-100 with Nauticam housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karibelle

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm considering the RX-100 with Nauticam housing. I see several folks here use that system. Some of you have posted some wonderful photos!

Just wondering if there are any "I wish I had known" before you bought it? I understand the macro capability is somewhat limited, unless there's a diopter. More comments on that? And a year later, will I wish I had bought something else?

TIA,
kari

i would wait and see what the next version has to offer...prices have dropped to 47000yen in japan ($470USD)...and i hear it should be coming relatively soon. that being said, for stills, the RX100 is great.

Thanks, chile.

Any thoughts on Nauticam housing vs Ikelite? As in why the price difference?

i have only used the ike and it was okay...from what i read, the nauticam is a much better (albeit pricier) housing.

Nauticam is much better. Search my past posts and you can see pics and descriptions of why I think it's better.

I wish I didn't try to jump in the water with my housing this weekend. Nice long scratch up the back glass. At least with nauticam it is replaceable.

I wish I had a lens cap underwater when diving near wrecks. Sometimes I clip the camera off while doin other things while diving and I banged my wide angle lens into something and put a Nasty scratch in it.

What I learned is dont jump in with camera and when underwAter keep the camera in your hand. If you aren't going to use it then dont take it.

---------- Post added May 27th, 2013 at 10:56 AM ----------

Another thing with the rx100. If you shoot in low light situations like I do then you need to get comfortable with manual controls. If you leave it in auto the camera will shoot most shots at f1.8. This leaves you very little depth of field in your photo. If you go to aperture priority mode then the camera will use shutter speeds that are too slow and leave you with blurry pics.
In low light I have to shoot manual so I can balance aperture, shutter and iso

We just bought an RX100/Nauticam combo to replace my wife's Canon G10/FIX housing. The Nauticam housing is better ergonomically than the IkeLite housing and it is smaller for packing/travel purposes.

found a great deal on an rx100 but went with the recsea housing and uwl28m52.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom