Rust spots on steel tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kizzmansky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi fellow divers. I tried using search but didn't find anything recent and relevant. I have a question about rust on steel tanks. I have a pair of Faber HP 100 that InboI bought brand new in 2016 ( made same year). They are the glossy silver type (galvanized and covered in epoxy). Around 50 dives on both. I'm am nuts about caring for my gear. Soaking and hosing all my stuff including tanks after diving. I took off the boots off tanks today and discovered a tiny rust spot on each tank on rounded bottom. One tank has it's coating damaged by something tiny, like rock or sand and a match head sized flake of rust growing there. Other one has rust colored spot under the epoxy.

Ok now. Sorry for long introduction. Question is how bad is it? And also is there anything I should do to repair those spots?

Thank you very much for reading. I appreciate all your opinions.

Last edited:
.... And also is there anything I should do to repair those spots?.....
Welcome to the world of Steel Tank Ownership !!

ALL steel tanks have some bits or parts of rust. It's physics and just part of owning steels

If you want, you can go to the hardware store and get sand paper to clean it, blue masking tape and cold galvanizing spray to cover it. Once rust starts, you really can't cheaply stop it. It's just part of steel tank ownership and own those scraped up tanks with pride.

P.S. For people that dive alot, hacked up personal steel tanks is a pretty good sign you are an experienced diver and know what you are doing, just IMHO.

Mmmm.... Rust under the galvanization and the epoxy coating under the boot. So much for quality coatings. Go to harbor fraight and get air spot blaster for like 15 bucks. Use baking soda in it and blast it away then use gray epoxy primer and your done.

ALL steel tanks have some bits or parts of rust. It's physics and just part of owning steels

It is not physics but chemistry.:eek:

For the OP, if you do not need the boots remove them. If you do make sure they can drain (i.e. is there a hole in the bottom?) As for the cylinder, I would just clean them up, and put some silver epoxy paint on them and call it good.

I have an old steel 72 that was repainted yellow in '80. I've used it a lot for all kinds of things including diving, and it's been dinged up a lot and I clean up the rust and hit it with a bit of white paint. Looks like a bad case of poison ivy.

image.jpeg

I'll probably strip and repaint before sending it in for hydro, since even I think it is getting ridiculous.

Bob

Rust never sleeps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom