Running your own line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good, keep that promise and get training in both disciplines. I am up in Canada all the time around Kingston , Brockville and area if you'd like to get together and try some of the training techniques let me know.

Although I appreciate the offer, there is no amount of training that will get me into the engine compartment of the Keystorm.

Terry

Although I appreciate the offer, there is no amount of training that will get me into the engine compartment of the Keystorm.

Terry

I went in, had a look around and got out. All that very slowly and carefully, with a line and a buddy waiting outside.

Not much space to turn around, every slight movement and air bubbles generating lots of fallout.

Definitely a scary place, I was not afraid not to find my way out but to get entangled, that's where a HOG/DIR equipment set up proves it's utility.

I fail to understand how you can consider the Keystorm as being a "sanitized" wreck?

Terry

My offer was not necessary for penetration as much as it was for understanding the techniques. The Keystorm is only one of the many wrecks in the area. If you want to generally dive let know

Having each team run line, as has already been stated, would make some popular caves a real spiderweb. In addition, you're much slower and often use more gas running line, so you wouldn't get to see as much -- AND you might not know where the main cave runs (especially in MX, where the rooms can be enormous) and spend a lot of time wandering around trying to find going cave.

You'd also damage the cave a lot more in the process. Laying permanent guide line and having divers follow that line ideally limits the damage swath.

I went in, had a look around and got out. All that very slowly and carefully, with a line and a buddy waiting outside.

Not much space to turn around, every slight movement and air bubbles generating lots of fallout.

Definitely a scary place, I was not afraid not to find my way out but to get entangled, that's where a HOG/DIR equipment set up proves it's utility.

I fail to understand how you can consider the Keystorm as being a "sanitized" wreck?

Aside from the engine room, it's (almost) impossible to become trapped in a huge portion of the wreck. The cargo holds are wide open and the hatches have been removed. There's no glass left in the wheelhouse, and all portholes and hatches I've found were either too small to consider entering or big enough that getting trapped isn't a problem.

There are certainly a number of metal parts that would happily impale a diver, but they aren't an issue if you move slowly and carefully.

It isn't sanitized in the sense of Disney Land, but I haven't found any other places on the wreck that were anywhere as dangerous as the engine room

Terry

It isn't sanitized in the sense of Disney Land, but I haven't found any other places on the wreck that were anywhere as dangerous as the engine room

Terry

Very true,

Although there are some windows on the stern that seem to give access to crew quarters that seem to be large enough to pass trough. From what I can see from outside there doesn't seem to be too much obstructions. Has anyone penetrated that part of the wreck?

I have been on the Keystorm many years ago. It is a good wreck from what I recall for those who are penetration trained. It has its risks as any wreck will. I should go back to it and see what the difference is from my last time on it over 10 years ago to today.

As far as people getting themselves in trouble. because the cargo holds are large I wouldn't say is not possible. The Wolf Islander has people who get into her cargo areas and soon thereafter get themselves in trouble and can no longer find the access. The keystorm laying on her starboard side and at an angle can cause a diver a few optical challenges. Her cargo bays are open and big, subject to the St Lawrence currents (minimally). So a diver can access them easy enough by staying high and thus keep out of trouble. This of course leads the diver into a false sense of confidence and they travel to the worst area of any ship - the engine room. The Waome by comparison I think is even worst since she is in very dark water with no ambient light and a wayward diver could easily enter her engine area. Caves can lead to the same false sense, a large cavern plenty of ambient light + curiosity can kill you. It is here that wrecks and caves systems end by comparison, the cavern zone - ambient light. Granted ambient light is not always in the engine room at which point the cave comparison would stand

Wrecks have the luxury of being made made (this is good and bad), they are structured for access and rooms can have access to many areas or even out to open water. Port holes often provide some natural lighting so a calm diver could recover from an error in judgement. In a cave once you are out of the cavern zone you have no natural lighting and errors in judgement can be unforgiving

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom