Running Tank Compressor When Wildfire Smoke In Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wallowa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Given all the wildfires out west where we are, are there any guidelines for when to run a compressor if there is smoke in the air.....I know this varies with amount of smoke, but how much smoke is too much....zero smoke is never going to happen until maybe October or later...AirNow quantifies the level of pollutants at stations but what is too much?

Thanks

The only thing I can think of is some type of prefiltration. Contact the compressor manufacturer for advise.

The only thing I can think of is some type of prefiltration. Contact the compressor manufacturer for advise.
Thanks...

Will do tomorrow...there is a pre-filter on intake hose....but the gases and particulate from the fire smoke may or may not be filtered out with that intake....next is compressor filter...if it can filter the smoke contaminated air I am good to go...

No experience with the composition and toxicity of wildfire smoke....and how to adjudge what AirNow monitor level is safe for using the compressor...surely others have the same issue...heck in urban areas smog needs to be considered, but we are in mountains and rural so only fire smoke to contend with...

...if it can filter the smoke contaminated air I am good to go...
Smoke filters are 0.3 micron so why not just use a Hepa shop vac filter? Put it over your compressor's air intake with some duct tape and you are safe & running in 5 minutes. Not sure how much smoke or dust there is but if it looks dirty then change it.

Comp-Intake-Filter-Hepa.jpg

I just want to point out that compressors are sensitive with regards to the air intake. While certain filters may work out great, a too restrictive intake filter will damage the compressor in the long run.
Careful consideration should be taken and I would double check that the extra filter is appropriate and doesn't affect the filling rate.

I just want to point out that compressors are sensitive with regards to the air intake. While certain filters may work out great, a too restrictive intake filter will damage the compressor in the long run.
Careful consideration should be taken and I would double check that the extra filter is appropriate and doesn't affect the filling rate.
My thoughts also. Significantly restrict intake and would not be good for compressor. Emailed compressor company for advice. Will post.
Still wondering what dive shops or others with compressors do during heavy [needs defining] air pollution times.

Appreciate input.

Sometimes you do what you have to do. I was running a charter during a large wildfire in Canada last year. I was burning up a 30" filter every day during that trip. Once I started reading 2ppm, I would shut it down and change the filter. It was either change lots of filters or cancel their trip.

and run combustion engine downstream filters

Have you read somewhere that with distance you incrementally increase the diameter of your intake pipe

Sometimes you do what you have to do. I was running a charter during a large wildfire in Canada last year. I was burning up a 30" filter every day during that trip. Once I started reading 2ppm, I would shut it down and change the filter. It was either change lots of filters or cancel their trip.
Thanks...What was the type of the 30" filter [medium inside filter]? ...2ppm is much less that I think we ever see as ambient ..how did you measure that?

Appreciated your input...it helps.

Understood about compressor downwind of intake hose....long hose supplied by compressor manufacturer with pre-filter...I have a stand to elevate the intake to 8 feet and upwind,,,

Just never thought about local air quality affecting when I could fill tanks...most urban areas have air borne pollutants and rural air degrades when fire season cranks up...heard stories of vehicle exhausts as point sources near dive stores but did not calculate in wild fires...or even dust storms...aggggh.

Thanks...What was the type of the 30" filter [medium inside filter]? ...2ppm is much less that I think we ever see as ambient ..how did you measure that?
This is the cartridge I use in my portable gas drive compressors. Lawrence factor X65247
1721678429894.png

I use a handheld CO analyzer on all of the tanks filled from my portable compressor. I normally change the cartidges annually as my intake air is clean so they aren't being used, just changed based on time.

That particular trip was burning through a cartridge every day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom