Running guideline in sand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perfect opportunity for your buddy to become proficient in a basic skill that will suit him/her well in “stressfull situations” such as seperation. Running line for your situation IMO is not the right tool for the task. Fix the navigation shortfall and the team will be safer and relaxed on all dives, no stress.

Last edited:
Obviously, that is the preferred solution but when your buddy is your life partner sometimes you have to face the fact that such option is "not gonna happen".

Running line is adding complication and risk that a compass does not present. Seperation stress is only going to add to this. She already has a proficient life partner to teach her compass navigation.

Dive safe.

If your buddy is unable to do the dive without your assistance you two probably shouldn't do the dive.

If you can't answer the questions that were asked you probably shouldn't reply to the thread.

Running a navigational guideline is an under-appreciated and under-utilized technique.

If the line is meant to be temporary, then I'd suggest something like these...

https://m.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-Strong...-/311918688733?varId=610734260005&_mwBanner=1

s-l500.jpg

If you wanted to put a more permanent guideline in place, you'd need something more substantial. That's where cinder blocks would come in handy... or even cast your own with concrete, where you can put some form of eyelet into the mold... and maybe some protruding rebar spikes, to grip/anchor into the sand.

@ReefHound: Dont ask questions if you are not prepared to deal with the feedback. I would give this a bit more thought, compass navigation is quick and easy to learn.

You have a problem, if you did not you would not be asking for help. Fix the problem, dont find another remedy as the underlaying problem will remain.

I am going to do something similar for a dive I do on a wreck it is around 130m off shore 30m deep over very silty bottom vis is 5m at best, will run 6mm rope have been advised that PVC silt stakes will be a good option for securing the line. If it is a dive you do semi regularly I have no problem with running a permanent line.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom