Running before diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbinbonaire

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a question concerning running before going on multiple dives. A little history, specifics on diving. My wife is currently in training for a marathon in October. She has competed in 3 marathons over the past few years (we were a bit unlucky this year as she had to cancel out of the Boston Marathon due to injury). Her marathon time is 3:30. She will be competing in a half marathon in approx. 3 weeks post our dive trip. We will be diving in the Caribbean - so it will be "hot". She has over 100 logged dives and on dive vacation we will averge 3 dives a day over a two week period. We will take a day or two off diving during this period to "off gas" as well as lounge by the pool. Our typical depth is 40 - 80 feet (closer to 60' than 80'). We usually dive deep first (80'), 2nd dive is (60') take a nice long afternoon nap then get one more dive in staying in the (45') range.

I have searched a bit in this forum and here are my questions. How safe will it be for her to run 60 - 75% intensity, for 45 minutes in the mornings before diving? How long after running should she recover (and hydrate) before we go on our dive adventures for the day?

The general rule is to avoid heavy excercise before, during and immediately after diving. How long before I'll leave to the experts, good question

I expect the amount/period of hydration would be whatever is enough to fully recover, again I don't know the exact answer I assume it will vary according to her level of fitness, how much she perspires (rate of work/ambient temp/humidity) etc

My rule of thumb is to (re)hydrate until I start passing clear urine with significant volume/regularity :)

My uneducated opinion would be that once you've acheived that, you're fully hydrated and should be good to go, assuming no muscle fatigue remaining by that point in time

For anyone else searching for information on this topic, it does seem to come up every few months, which is infrequent enough that threads can be hard to find. I'm not a medic but have been interested in this area and have kept an eye out for information, so I'll try to summarize what I remember off the top of my head.

It used to be that pre-dive exercise was not recommended, but in recent years, the belief is that this actually reduces the microbubbles that are always in anyone's blood stream, and which are sometimes theorized to be the nuclei for DCS. As the OP mentioned, key factors are not to overexert by working flat out and to rehydrate. Other factors include not to go long enough to be significantly exhausted afterwords, and to rest long enough to be fully recovered.

As one marathoner to another, recovery would mainly be to stop sweating and for the heart rate to get back to resting levels. The more challenging issue is actually the hydration. You didn't mention how large she is (petite, tall, etc.) but in the hot humid conditions you cite, I could easily see an average-sized woman easily sweating off 1.2 L/5 cups in 45 minutes. As an experienced long distance runner, she probably has a better idea of exactly how much. I'd estimate you're looking at maybe 75 minutes to absorb this into the blood stream, and another 30-60 minutes to redistribute this adequately. Also, since it's hot outside, don't forget the electrolytes, although 45 minutes of exercise wouldn't need a huge amount replenishment. However, in concentrated form, these could slow water transfer by 1.2-1.5x.

The one other issue which you probably know but I'll mention anyway for completeness, is to not be running with any significant N2 loading. This may need more consideration with multi-day diving. Personally, I've used the rule of thumb of 24-hours after the last non-deco dive (sort of like the old no-fly recommendations), although I don't know of any real, more definitive guidelines from any dive medicine groups.

Last edited:
The general rule is to avoid heavy excercise before, during and immediately after diving. How long before I'll leave to the experts, good question.

Indeed, Tortuga68, that was the "general rule" and a while back I published a piece consistent with these recommendations --> Doc Vikingo's Exercise & DCS

However, as bleep has stated, these guidelines gradually are being reconsidered (and not without controversy) , especially as regards exercise prior to diving. At present we still need to determine with more precision such variables as the exact nature of the exercise and time frames both pre- and post-dive, as well the effects of such excerise on plain old Joe and Jane Diver, not just on healthy young male military divers.

The following research articles are examples of findings that are prompting reevaluation:

1. J Physiol. 2004 Mar 16;555(Pt 3):637-42. Epub 2004 Jan 30.

Aerobic exercise before diving reduces venous gas bubble formation in humans.
Dujic Z, Duplancic D, Marinovic-Terzic I, Bakovic D, Ivancev V, Valic Z, Eterovic D, Petri NM, Wisløff U, Brubakk AO.

Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Split School of Medicine, Split, Croatia. zdujic@bsb.mefst.hr

Comment in: J Physiol. 2004 Mar 16;555(Pt 3):588.

Abstract
We have previously shown in a rat model that a single bout of high-intensity aerobic exercise 20 h before a simulated dive reduces bubble formation and after the dive protects from lethal decompression sickness. The present study investigated the importance of these findings in man. Twelve healthy male divers were compressed in a hyperbaric chamber to 280 kPa at a rate of 100 kPa min(-1) breathing air and remaining at pressure for 80 min. The ascent rate was 9 m min(-1) with a 7 min stop at 130 kPa. Each diver underwent two randomly assigned simulated dives, with or without preceding exercise. A single interval exercise performed 24h before the dive consisted of treadmill running at 90% of maximum heart rate for 3 min, followed by exercise at 50% of maximum heart rate for 2 min; this was repeated eight times for a total exercise period of 40 min. Venous gas bubbles were monitored with an ultrasonic scanner every 20 min for 80 min after reaching surface pressure. The study demonstrated that a single bout of strenuous exercise 24h before a dive to 18 m of seawater significantly reduced the average number of bubbles in the pulmonary artery from 0.98 to 0.22 bubbles cm(-2)(P= 0.006) compared to dives without preceding exercise. The maximum bubble grade was decreased from 3 to 1.5 (P= 0.002) by pre-dive exercise, thereby increasing safety. This is the first report to indicate that pre-dive exercise may form the basis for a new way of preventing serious decompression sickness.

2. Aviat Space Environ Med. 2006 Jun;77(6):592-6.

Venous bubble count declines during strenuous exercise after an open sea dive to 30 m.
Dujić Z, Obad A, Palada I, Ivancev V, Valic Z.

Department of Physiology, University of Split School of Medicine, Croatia. zdujic@bsb.mefst.hr

Abstract
INTRODUCTION: The effect of post-dive exercise on bubble formation remains controversial, although the current practice of divers and aviators is to avoid strenuous exercise after diving. Previously, we have shown that exercising 24 h before a dive, or during a decompression stop, significantly reduces bubble formation in man. The objective of this study was to determine whether a short period of strenuous post-dive exercise promotes venous bubble formation. METHODS: Seven male military divers performed an open-sea field dive to a maximum depth of 30 m for 30 min. At maximum depth, subjects performed mild underwater fin swimming, followed by standard decompression. Diving was followed by a post-dive exercise session consisting of short, strenuous incremental upright cycle ergometry, up to 85% of maximal oxygen uptake, for about 10 min. Subjects were monitored for venous gas bubbles in the right heart with an echo-imaging system starting 20 min post-dive while in the supine position, during cycle ergometry in the seated upright position, and immediately after exercise in a supine position. RESULTS: The average number of bubbles was 1.5 +/- 1.4 bubbles x cm(-2) 20 min after diving. Changes in posture from supine to seated upright resulted in significant reduction of bubbles to 0.6 +/- 1.3 bubbles x cm(-2) (p = 0.043), with further reduction to 0.2 +/- 0.3 bubbles x cm(-2) at the end of exercise (p = 0.02). No cases of DCS or intra-pulmonary shunt were observed during or following post-dive exercise. DISCUSSION: These results suggest that post-dive strenuous exercise after a single field dive reduces post-dive gas bubble formation in well-trained military divers. Additional findings are needed for normal sports divers.

Regards,

DocVikingo

It used to be that pre-dive exercise was not recommended, but in recent years, the belief is that this actually reduces the microbubbles that are always in anyone's blood stream, and which are sometimes theorized to be the nuclei for DCS.

I am glad to hear that. I used to often work out before diving (just because that was the way my weekend tended to work out), but I dropped it because everyone told me it was a higher risk. I was always slightly suspicious of that advice (provided of course that I rehydrated sufficiently) so I am glad to hear that the position is being looked at afresh.

You sure don't want to work out after diving. Apart from elevating DCS risk, you are usually pretty bushed after a two tank dive.

Just wanted to say Thanks to all, especially the journal articles referenced. Might come up with a new workout - snorkel sprints. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom