Question Running a rebreather on only dilluent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can anyone tell me what is the difference that something gets labeled a gas extender vs SCR.

As far as I can understand they are identical...... maybe one doesn't have po2 sensors????
Or one dumps more gas???

They're the same thing.

SCRs come in manual and electronic versions.

Manual ones leak at a constant rate and inject based upon pressure. Electronic ones monitor PPO2 and should be more frugal with gas consumption.

Lots of good discussion here. I tend to agree teaching SCR mode in an entry level/no deco/no overhead situation unnecessarily complicates things because bailing out to Open Circuit is the best, quickest and safest option.

Being able to use SCR mode in a cave environment is critical and must be taught and the student must master this skill.

I dive double LP85s in the cave. Tanks are generally filled to around 3500 psi which is about 220 cubic feet of gas. (35*6.4) If I switch to SCR mode and use a four-breath cycle while diving SCR mode I turn those 220 cubic feet into 880 cubic feet, essentially a "Gas Extender".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom