Running a dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emttim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So hey guys, here's a business-oriented question for you. If you were going to run a dive shop, where would you open up shop? Why? Would you want a degree in business/economics or in marine biology? Both? Neither? Lastly, what kind of certification would you want beforehand? Would you hire OWIs and DMs as employees and delegate to them or would you want to be a DM or OWI yourself so you can teach classes yourself and save on overhead?

Thoughts/advice/opinions/etc. welcome. :)

From what I've seen, a degree in business and/or marketing would be a huge plus. I think a lot of dive shops suffer because the people running them are divers and not businessmen.

I also think one of the big challenges is adequate capitalization. Many shops I've been in have very little inventory, because of the investment required to collect same. I think adequate inventory is key to doing retail sales in the internet age -- If I have to order it from the shop at full retail, or I can order it from somebody else at a big discount, which am I going to do?

And finally, almost all the shops I've ever been in are mainly run by the owner. In other words, he's the guy behind the counter making sales and answering the phone. That makes it difficult for him to run classes as well (and difficult for him to dive sometimes, too).

So hey guys, here's a business-oriented question for you. If you were going to run a dive shop, where would you open up shop? Why? Would you want a degree in business/economics or in marine biology? Both? Neither? Lastly, what kind of certification would you want beforehand? Would you hire OWIs and DMs as employees and delegate to them or would you want to be a DM or OWI yourself so you can teach classes yourself and save on overhead?

Thoughts/advice/opinions/etc. welcome. :)

Well I would start with a million dollars...(insert rim shot for the old joke).

The only way to make a small fortune is to start with a large one........:D

85 about hit the nail on the head. If you want to make a million in the diving or marina business start out with two or three and you will have a million in short order.

The main certification for the owner should be the white coat one with the long sleeves that tie behind. :D

Gary D.

ooops.......duplicate post......

You know guys, you can bash owning a dive shop all you want, but there's a reason that the dive shop owner in podunk Colorado isn't making jack **** while the dive shop owner in Maui is making six figures.

I obviously won't be opening the dive shop in Colorado.

You know guys, you can bash owning a dive shop all you want, but there's a reason that the dive shop owner in podunk Colorado isn't making jack **** while the dive shop owner in Maui is making six figures.

CO has the highest per capita divers in the US :wink:

Get a business degree. Do the planning. Go on a long holiday. Come back. Do the planning again - this time add in 8 months of virtually undive-able conditions, halve your visitor rate, double your fuel costs, lose one skipper and two key employees, have vital permits pulled by the governing agency for no reason and with no recourse. If you can ride that out and still live the lifestyle you want to live, THEN start considering where to sink your money (no pun intended).

There's lots of good things about having a dive business, but you're dependent on a whole range of factors that are totally beyond your control. Not everyone is happy with that.

I bet a good # of dive shops are making more money here in CO than those in HI. There are tons of divers here - name a sport/outdoor activity and coloardo has a lot of people that do it.

My thoughts are you should know how to dive if you are going to run a dive shop. At least you should be OWI. I wouldnt take sky diving lessons from someone who has never jumped out of a plane. Nor would I take scuba lessons at a dive shop owned by a non diver. Just my opinion.
Kenny

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom