Runaway Buddy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Considering THIS thread, I'd thought I'd post this event, which happened yesterday afternoon.

Second dive, about 17 minutes into the dive, diving with a three man team. We're at about forty some-odd feet deep. Buddy #1 is in on my right, and buddy #2 is behind and to the left.

I feel something hit my leg, turn and look, and see buddy number #2 kicking for all it's worth toward the surface. In a flash he's gone into the gloom above. What the heck???

Something has spooked him, something has happened, something not good. Of course, I can't chase him and abandon my other buddy, and he's long gone now anyway. So I get diver #1's attention, point to where buddy #2 used to be, and give buddy #1 the thumb.

He returns the thumb and we make a slow ascent and do our safety stops on our backs looking up for buddy #1.

When we surface, buddy #1 is nowhere to be found. We look for his bubbles but don't find them. There is a mild current that we have to swim against to stay in the area we lost #2, so buddy #1 has us swim over to some pilings for us to hang on to. About ten to twelve minuets have passed now, and still no sign of buddy #2. This is not good.

I dive with the missing buddy frequently, and he knows that, if separated, we search for one minute and then ascend. No impromptu solo diving, period. So even if he went back down, searched for us for a minute, did a nice slow ascent with safety stop, be should be well up by now.

I tell this to buddy #1, who says, "Time to get on the phone."

The irony of this is, we're diving a site where, about two years ago, a young man got separated from his buddy and died. In fact, there's a memorial underwater, and the three of us had just visited it.

As we're heading toward the exit point, buddy #2 surfaces near shore. He is fine.

Here's what happened to him. He says that he got too close and someone (I'm guessing me) kicked the reg from his mouth. He reached for his backup reg (which is bungeed around his neck) and couldn't find it. He made a frantic dash toward the surface.

Just before he surfaced, he located the backup reg, put it in his mouth, and stopped his ascent. He decided to go back down to look for us. Unfortunately, we were already on our way up to look for him, and with the mild current and limited vis, he didn't run into us. He searched for a while, then decided to make a very long, slow ascent up toward shore, following the bottom. He didn't want to go right back up, but rather try to avoid possible DCS from the rapid ascent by taking his time re-ascending.

We came very close to calling 911 before he surfaced.

Anyway, everyone OK.

The only casualty was, my camera flooded (bummer!).

That is scary Rick, not seeing him on the surface. You did exactly what you should have done. You saw how quickly he took off, was there any chance to catch him if you were just a 2 man buddy team? In my opinion, it happens too fast and unless he is in front of you or you are looking at him, there is not much you can do.

And too bad about the camera, I winch every time I hear that f word.

Interesting situation. Glad to hear everybody is alright

Did you discuss what could be done differently if this were to happen again? Perhaps the diver could deploy a SMB? That way the other divers know where to find him and, given the circumstances, know that he is okay.

Diver Dennis:
You saw how quickly he took off, was there any chance to catch him if you were just a 2 man buddy team?
If we had been lined up before he took off, and someone had said, "Ready, set, go!" I don't think I could had caught him. He was swimming for all it's worth. However, if he had been alongside me, he might have had the wherewithal to do a simple OOA with me.
SeanQ:
Did you discuss what could be done differently if this were to happen again? Perhaps the diver could deploy a SMB? That way the other divers know where to find him and, given the circumstances, know that he is okay.
Yes, he we have talked it through several times. He had never done a regulator exchange. I say, "had" because, he sure did a few on today's dives. :D

Very good idea on the SMB. I'll have to find out when his birthday is and buy him one.eyebrow

I thought that might be the case Rick. As you say, just to catch him before he got to the surface you would have to be able to swim faster than a panicked diver and if you did, I guess the question would be could you stop him?

Glad everything turned out okay Rick. sobering. sounds like a surface marker might have helped at least with the searching. They really have so many applications in various scenarios.

My dad used to tell me (he was a big klutz) that getting your mask or reg kicked off was a very common thing you need expect. It seems we worry about so many elaborate possibilities and it's always the "stupid little things" that tend to get us.

Glad you are the person that focuses on the friend you didn't lose and seem to be taking the camera in stride.

Rick Inman:
Yes, he we have talked it through several times. He had never done a regulator exchange. I say, "had" because, he sure did a few on today's dives. :D

I think there's something to be said about practicing your skills... :11doh:

Ben_ca:
I think there's something to be said about practicing your skills... :11doh:

True. Assuming they practice reg recovery more often then SMB usage, it could be difficult, perhaps hazardous, to try to deploy an SMB after panicking. Practicing skills sounds like the best prevention.

just wondering...why would it be dangerous to deploy?
Forty feet for 17 minutes, he would not have had a big risk of getting bent on ascent would he? I realize he surfaced very fast...I too would have gone back down at least 20 ft., but this isn't really what is recommended is it? I have been skipping those threads...

catherine96821:
just wondering...why would it be dangerous to deploy?
Forty feet for 17 minutes, he would not have had a big risk of getting bent on ascent would he? I realize he surfaced very fast...I too would have gone back down at least 20 ft., but this isn't really what is recommended is it? I have been skipping those threads...

I'm not recommending anything; I'm just thinking out loud.

Imagine a sequence of events. A diver's reg gets kicked out out their mouth and they can't find their alternate. They panic and ascend until managing to stop. Now they are alone, in poor visibility and in a current strong enough to warrent a SMB. Considering that they just panicked, is deploying an SMB by themself (a more complex skill than a reg recovery) a wise choice? Keeping in mind they are clearly within the NDL, is staying down a better choice than making a controlled free ascent as planned? Truth be told they were able to stop themselves before surfacing so they must have been able to bring their panic under some control.

Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom