Rules of thumb for comfort at various water temps??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DRY Suit all year long! :cold:

I read the linked article about surfer's ear and it made me wonder about cold-water diving. I wear a hood for the not-yet-very cold water diving I've done (65º-70º), but I found that if I don't make holes in the hood over my ears then I have a hard time equalizing (the hood "seals" to my ears without the holes). So maybe the hood is/would not be not protecting me too well against surfer's ear (when I eventually dive in colder water).

But I wonder how necessary the wind component is? They seemed to emphasize cold AND windy, although then they did mention that divers were also susceptible (so how important is the wind component, really?).

Also: Do some people not have problems equalizing against a sealed hood?

Equalization can be a big issue particularly if you have a hood with smooth rubber interior. I've never burned holes in a hood, but i know a lot of knowledgable people say that this is a good solution. If you don't punch holes, it is ESSENTIAL that you flood the hood if it is sealing against your outer ear.

Wearing a hood has never been a problem for equalization for me, but you do need to allow some water in there... any air space between the hood and the eardrum, will result in an external ear hickey...

I figured this out when I actually got a mild case of barotrauma. Even though I was flooding the hood periodically, it would just seal back onto my ears again before the next purge (I was in shallowish water doing a fair number of up/downs). It is Nylon-covered where it goes over my ears, but seemed to continually re-seal (now why couldn't my wetsuit seal that tenaciously?).

I poked some holes in it and that solved the problem -- but of course it does now constantly let some cold water into my ears, and I was thinking about how that would be in real cold water (as opposed to the "fake" 70º cold water I was in) as I was reading about the surfer's ear. Granted, there will not be any wind, which is what made me wonder how "necessary" the wind component is.

@Blue Sparkle: How thick is the hood you are currently using? Does it fit well or too tightly?

My local water temps at depth vary from the high 40s to high 60s (°F).
I've never had any issues with my thick hood (7mm) sealing so tightly against my ear that it inhibits ear equalization.
Prior to initial descent, I do make sure that water has made its way into my hood and fills the outer ear canal. As long as water completely fills the outer ear canal, there won't be any air to contract/expand in response to ambient pressure. There shouldn't be any reason to put holes in the hood over the ears. As you pointed out, this could cause more flushing in that area, which isn't desirable.

On the other hand, it is a good idea to have one or more vent holes at the top of the hood. Air can enter the hood via reg exhaust bubbles or, if the diver is wearing a drysuit, via a neck burp. The vent holes give the air an exit pathway...otherwise you end up with a big ol' bubble that pulls the hood away from the top of your head. It's a weird feeling. Don't ask me how I know. :D

i currently have a 5/4mm and i used a 7/5mm no hood or gloves in 60F waters and was all ok.
was thinking of buying hood and undervest to go with 5/4mm for 60f waters.

any recommendations for undergarment to go with 5/4mm

@Blue Sparkle: How thick is the hood you are currently using? Does it fit well or too tightly?

It's thinnish - 2mm I think. It's tight enough to do the job, but not "really tight." It's a rather inexpensive, off-brand hood that I picked up on a trip when I needed one right then.

I've never had any issues with my thick hood (7mm) sealing so tightly against my ear that it inhibits ear equalization.

Maybe the thin material mine is made of allows it to suck up to my ears more effectively?

Prior to initial descent, I do make sure that water has made its way into my hood and fills the outer ear canal. As long as water completely fills the outer ear canal, there won't be any air to contract/expand in response to ambient pressure.

Somehow mine seems to work differently (although I realize physics can't be changed). I could tell mine was causing a problem, so I would oftentimes pull it away from my head to allow water in, but then after a while when I went to equalize again it would have "suctioned" to my ears again. I ended up with a mild barotrauma in one ear, although I never had any ear pain, and had kept up on my equalizing (as I tend to do).

The only thing I could think of was the hood suction, so I made some holes in the hood right over my ears and then of course it no longer "suctioned" onto them. No more mild barotrauma, either (and I've never had it without the hood - the majority of my diving - so I think my equalizing technique must be okay. I just don't always have the bandwidth (handwidth?) to pull the hood off of both ears just prior to every time I equalize.

There shouldn't be any reason to put holes in the hood over the ears. As you pointed out, this could cause more flushing in that area, which isn't desirable.

I do now have a better hooded vest, on which the hood is slightly thicker. I think 3mm, although it may be more -- I forget right now because the whole thing has varying thicknesses. Maybe additional thickness will help.

On the other hand, it is a good idea to have one or more vent holes at the top of the hood. Air can enter the hood via reg exhaust bubbles or, if the diver is wearing a drysuit, via a neck burp.

Yes, I did get the giant cone head! I had my buddy cut a couple of holes in the top of the hood which solved that problem. The new hooded vest has built in vents on top of the head. I definitely won't be cutting holes in the ear area until I try it without them.

Thanks for your input,

Blue Sparkle

Back
Top Bottom